threads
Page 1 of 1
Max Suspension \  Specialty Ball Joint ID???

Specialty Ball Joint ID???

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 1518
replies 5
following 2

swamp rat   +1y
I am hoping someone here might be able to ID these "specialty" ball joints or point in a direction to someone who could.
Pulled these off the upper front of an '89 Dodge Ram D-50 Sport 4X4 w 2.6LT.
It has an aftermarket 4" suspension lift kit on it, but WHO manufactured the upper tubular a-arms and/or the upper balljoints is anyones guess.
I want to put 32.5's back on it, but not until I get these upper ball joints replaced.

As best I can tell, the ball joints taper'd spline are factory specs, but thats where the simularities end. The mounting bolt holes are triangularly spaced at 2.25" center to center, read the top part fits the bottom part, no matter the orientation.
How might I determine if these are high angle units or not?
Parts book calls for Moog K9470, which I have BUT they are of the press in type and I'd like to make sure they will make a viable substitute before making any mods or fabricating adapters..
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
texasfittys   +1y
only thing i can figure is somebody may have custom built that suspension or took it to a shop and they built it...the only aftermarket lift kit ive heard of cost almost $2000 and it was just a 2 or 2 1/2" suspension lift. you might check montero ball joints or raiders...not sure on this. youre probably gonna have a hell of a search on your hands
swamp rat   +1y
Check this out. I machined this adapter using the old ball joint housing so I know the bolt pattern is an exact match to the a-arms.
Now the shop can align the dots, press the moog ball joint in these adapters, install the snap ring and dust boot, then just bolt it on those tubular a-arms, much like stock, but not LOL
Bonus- These moog ball joints permit a substantual higher angle of attack vs the old ones..
See any reason why this shouldn't work?

texasfittys   +1y
looks like a winner...if it doesnt work you can always take it all apart and try again
swamp rat   +1y
I am not out of the woods just yet. I am coordinating this repair with my local auto repair shop who cant find a "direct replacement" balljoint. They initially suggested taking the a-arms off and replacing them with factory a-arms, which kills the 4" suspension lift read won't permit sufficient clearance for 32's without adding a 4+" body lift so I'd rather not go there.

The old balljoints bolted under the aftermarket a-arm(s), and the a-arms .5" flat plate that the balljoint bolts onto doesn't allow the top of the new moog balljoint to protrude into/through the a-arm at all soo.
Currently there only an .75" oblong slot just big enough for the old adjustment nut and grease fitting to poke through the upper a-arm. Modifying the a-arms would be a major PITA, but even if, there would be little materal left between the enlarged center hole and the existing 3 bolt (mounting) holes (compromising integrety IMO)and doing so would also move the balljoints "hinge" point up (closer to the a-arm) .5"+ from its original (old ball joint) location. Uncertain if that would alter steering/suspension geometry, and/or compromise strength, I chose another route..
For maximum strength, and to keep the steering/suspension geometry the same as it was, I am having the local laser shop cut me two- 5/8" thick steel spacers to match the old ball joint triangular mounting flange that will locate the entire balljoint assembly under the a-arms mounting flange, just as it was before.
I am fairly certain the adapter plus spacer will resolve any further fitment/service issues.

The spacers are supposed to be ready monday, will post pics.
Now I am wondering, although the spacer will be sandwiched between the adapter and a-arm, if I should weld the adapters and spacers flanges together for increased strength, think its necessary?
swamp rat   +1y
Ended up with GoodYear Wrangler Authoritays 31/10.5/15C
Well here it is, I think I'll dub thee Rambitious, or Lamb Chops.. LOL

Will crank the torsen bars back up to level off the body (racked a couple inches ATM), and get the front end aligned. Tommorrow if all goes well.
In my hast to pick up the spacers from the laser shop, drop them off at the auto shop, and make it to work on time Monday morning, I forgot to snap a pic of the spacers. FWIW, everything fit together perfectly.
Page 1 of 1