rear HELP

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 2550
replies 8
following 5

karskustoms   +1y
what rear ends fit a '88 ram 50 2 wheel drive
slow50   +1y
alot of people use toyota rears but mostly when bagging it so im not too sure if its a direct bolt on.
capev86   +1y
you might be able to use a montero axle but it may require moving the spring perches. a later montero axle will give you disc brakes and keep the truck 6 lug but may be too wide and cause the wheels to stick out from the rear fenders.

i want to graft in the trailing arm system from the back of a 2nd gen or newer montero (non sport model) into my 87 ram 50. i don't need or want a fancy ladder bar system but want to upgrade to a better looking rear chassis (leaf springs under axle are VERY ugly) and i will gain disc brakes and a factory sway bar.
john   +1y
Hi Karskustoms,

I don't believe any other rear end is a direct bolt-in for your truck. I thought the Toyota swap is used to convert to five-lug rims, has more gearing choices and a lsd option.

The Montero rear end has coil springs and disk brakes. I believe it is either a half an inch narrower or wider than your rear end. Measure the rear end width to confirm this.

Installing choices include:

You can either install it with all the Montero rear suspension parts and maybe even the rear of the Montero frame.

Cut off the coil spring seats and existing shock brackets. Weld perches on the differential to accept your leaf spring u-bolts and weld on shocks mounts. Verify that the pinion angle is correct.

Install it with a custom three-link or four-link suspension with coils, bags, etc.

I don't know if the your drive shaft will bolt the the Montero rear end. The standard Montero rear end ratio is 4.625:1.

John
capev86   +1y
i'd want the conquest/starion 3.55 rear end with LSD in a 2nd gen montero trailing arm rear axle if it is possible! i like being able to drive on the highway and the 3.55 is still stout enough in our trucks if you have a 2.4 or modded 2.0 that makes decent torque.
john   +1y
Hi capev86,

If I remember correctly, the Conquest/Starion 3.55 rear end will only swap into the front differential of the four cylinder 4wd trucks. It will not fit in the rear differential of the Montero or pickups.

John
capev86   +1y
can you use the 3.54 conquest/starion gears in a ram5-/montero axle and use them with the mitsu truck lsd?
baggedbmy93mazda   +1y
what about mazda b series?????
john   +1y
Hi capev86,

Yes, I think you can use the 3.54 conquest/starion gears in a ram50 truck differential with lsd.

John
Page 1 of 1