Max Suspension \  For Brian_77

For Brian_77

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 1039
replies 1
following 2

qballd50   +1y
by brian_77 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:28 am

hey how ya doin,i got a 88 d50 im lowering also,im gon to get some pics for you guys open to any suggestions,rite now i lowered the rear 3inches but dont knw what ican do for a simple drop in the front can you all help thanks

I Found What I was Looking For!

Short 7 step tutorial on how to remove coil springs.

Full Article
Removing coils 101:

step 1: put truck on jack stands

step 2: remove wheel

step 3: remove bolt that holds sway bar, and the two that hold the strut bar (strut bar bolts from underside of control arm, top is a bump stop.)

step 4: remove tie rod end. (this may take some effort, better get some PB Blaster and a mallet

step 5: put jack under control arm, jack it up so its just barely below the edge of the arm. (a half inch at most)

step 6: remove cotter pin from ball joint. loosen ball joint but don't take the nut off the whole way. You may want to spray some PB Blaster on that too and knock it with a mallet till it drops (the jack should be in place to catch it when it drops)

step 7: lower jack slowly. remove spring. cut. Replace in reverse order.

*note: make sure to cut bump stop in half for a MUCH softer ride.

15 step guide on removing middle leaf spring.

Full Article
Step 1: Jack back axle up. And place jack stands under frame.
Step 2: Lower the axle.

Step 3: Remove shock absorber. Remove U-bolts. And pull the spring perch off.

Step 4: Jack axle up so that it is slightly higher than the springs

Step 5: place c-clamp on spring pack. (you probly don't have to do this but just for good measure.)

Step 6: Unbolt the bracket for the emergency brake line and move aside.

Step 7: Remove center bolt of the spring pack

Step 8: Pry the "teeth" off of the clamps that go from the middle leaf, to the top leaf. They wont come off completely because their riveted to the middle spring, but just pry them back with a flathead screwdriver.

Step 9: release c-clamp and drop the bottom spring and middle spring.

Step 10: Replace center bolt and bottom leaf. Use the c-clamp to hold them together while putting the bolt back in. (Some use a different bolt, but i used the existing one and it worked fine for me.)

Step 11: CUT BUMP STOPS!!!!!!!

Step 12: Re-install e-brake bracket and line

Step 13: Re-install bottom plate and u-bolts

Step 14: Re-install shock absorber.

Step 15: Lower truck and go!

*NOTE: My drop took at least 2 or 3 days to settle completely.
twistedkreation   +1y
Nice write up this should be a sticky in the suspension section! Title it DIY static drop? I get my truck running I'm going to print this out and get me and my dad to do it!
Page 1 of 1