Max Engine \  4G63B head rebuilt parts | seeking recommendations

4G63B head rebuilt parts | seeking recommendations

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1766
replies 5
following 2

jdmckay   +1y
hello,

Long short: I had the motor in my '89 Mighty Max rebuilt (they did in/out as well) just over 2 years ago. Lost compression in 2/3 cylinders @ 7k miles. Had multiple problems w/the motor after rebuild. Work done by "Reliable Engine Rebuilder" in Albuquerque. Since found out long line of failed motors from that shop: stay away, the guy is a crook.

Truck has been parked for 2 years, just getting around to fixing it now.

Been reading threads here on this job, just ordered FEL-PRO gasket set and Carter electric Fuel Pump from Rock Auto based on recommendations here. Carter I purchased listed here: " target="_blank" target="_blank. Ordered the recommended Weber Carburetor prior to rebuild, but "Reliable" promised to, but did not install it.

Many of you recommended new head bolts as well, and this is my main reason for posting: cannot find them anywhere. If anyone has recommendation/suggestion where I can find them, I'd appreciate it.

Summit has a set listed here: , however ship date is Nov. 11 and I'd like to have this all done by then. Unsure if that is correct set also.

Want to go for bolts (not studs) as $$ are tight, and getting this job done right is costing enough as it is.

Head is currently in another (highly recommended) local machine shop getting re-done.

Also appreciate if anyone has suggestions/tricks installing/torquing head back on. Never done it on this truck myself, and have worked on others where precautions/steps not in manual were recommended. I've taken the blown head gasket around to several people I know here experienced in rebuilding trying to decipher what kind of error would allow that, but no consensus (head surface was in pretty good shape according to current machine shop).

Thanks in advance.
mxmikie   +1y
you can reuse the head bolts make sure that your jet valves are not leaking they are 99.9 % of lost compression you could hook compressed air to the spark plug hole to find out where the compression is leaking
jdmckay   +1y
mxmikie @ 2:22pm:

> you can reuse the head bolts

Too many recommendations to replace them, this motor is newly rebuilt and I want to do things as well as I can. Really like to find a supplier.

> make sure that your jet valves are not leaking

I removed them and purchased/installed specialty plugs for those things before rebuild.
mxmikie   +1y
you can reuse the head bolts ..... its your money
jdmckay   +1y
I found the studs (ARP) here: . Part # 207-4201 for just under $100.

Also wondering: both intake/exhaust manifolds... upon inspection this time around, came back from my builder w/an assortment of nuts I'm sure were not stock. Several were on only finger tight.

Can anyone tell me if there is a specifcation for this nuts? Several had larger faces (like a washer) on manifold mounting surface: of these, 1 looked like a one use/locking nut (slight "cut" into nut approx. 1/2 way down through threads), the other had a washer built on which spins (never seen anything like that before). The remaining nuts were just standard shape.

Distributing the surface area with nuts having wider-washer face makes sense to me, however I'd like to get this right. Anyone know if this is critical, or if all should use the same nuts?

Thx. in advance.
jdmckay   +1y
FWIW, I found 2 suppliers that have head bolt sets (not studs) for this motor:

Headbolts.com

part #: cubs-1234

Mitsubishi Parts WareHouse

Part #: MD040514 (find in search window on their homepage).
Page 1 of 1