threads
Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  Please help me before this truck becomes a bonfire!!

Please help me before this truck becomes a bonfire!!

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1437
replies 3
following 2

jonnyv4x4   +1y
My brother just bought a 1985 dodge ram 50 with the G63B 2.0l.carburated 4speed.it is having a problem with stalling and not starting when it is hot.the guy he bought it from change the distributor and coil.well he had the timing way off so i fixed that.still same problem.i have changed the coil and resistor and still same problem.it runs fine until hot then it loses spark.someone please point me in the right direction
johng   +1y
This is my first post but maybe I can help?

First thing is take a piece of paper and measure the voltage with a dc meter at different points when its (cold not running) and (cold and running) (starting even is different on voltage resistor I think is bypassed for a moment). Example each side of that resistor and at the coil even if its the same wire that goes to the resistor. Also notate where your ground for each test, example if checking the coil + voltage measure you (-ground) voltage at the coils ground. If you measure at the batt for your ground or the frame it may be better and give you a false reading.

After all those notes look at your notes or points and do the same test when its hot and failing. If they are all the same you have a bad ignition module in the distributor (if it has one) or pickup coil in the distributor (if it also has one). If it has points change out condensor and points.

You can pull the distributor and ground the shell to the block and spin it instead of cranking the engine and it will spark. But make sure you note your timing mark or rotor position. Put it at top dead center (TDC) on compression stroke before you pull it for easy realigning.

Also you can spin distributor without cap and coil will spark 4 times faster. put a plug on the coil wire so it acts like a one cylinder engine.

I know a lot of random thoughts but if you sift through my thoughts maybe it will give you a new direction to troubleshoot.

Also use freeze spray on pickup or ignition module (if its not points) when failing and spark should come back if its really electronic failure.

Hope this helps
jonnyv4x4   +1y
This last time the truck stayed running for over an hour.drove it for 15 minutes.ran fine.shut it off and it started rite back up.did that 4 or 5 times started rite up.let it sit for no more than 5 minutes and now it wont start again.im leaning towards the ignition switch.just letting my hands thaw out before i go out and check it with my test light.its 12 degrees out here
johng   +1y
Another area on mine was on the drivers inner fender it has push blade spade connectors that were corroded. also known as fuseable links. if you have those check them or wiggle them. Just a thought.
Page 1 of 1