Max Engine \  Vibration Help

Vibration Help

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1019
replies 3
following 2

bluestreak22   +1y
Hello all, new member here.
I have a 92 D50 with the 2.4 and 5 speed. I just finished installing new timing belts, (A & B), and now I have a strange vibration/harmonic when i was test running it. Both at idle and when reving up slightly. I checked all of the pulley bolts, crank bolt, etc. I paid very close attention to lining up all of the timing marks, cam, crank, silent shaft and oil pump. When i was removing the old belt the oil pump rotated slightly, but i rotated it back to the proper mark on assembly, which i assumed shouldn't be a problem. Is there something i might have missed? Any help would be appreciated. Gary
droppedmitsu   +1y
Only thing I can think of if all the marks are lined up correctly is that the oil pump is 180* out. There is a few(2 I believe) ways that the oil pump can go. To make sure its in the right spot you need to pull out the bolt on the drivers side of the block that is right on the bulge for the oil pump shaft, then rotate the oil pump shaft and line the mark up so that you can stick a screw driver into the bolt hole you removed on side of block. If its 180 out the screw driver will only go into the hole a little bit, when it is correct the screw driver will go into the hole a few inches.
bluestreak22   +1y
Thank you for the idea Josh. I have a Dodge factory shop manual for the truck and i find it strange that it doesn't mention the alignment of the oil pump other than on the timing marks. Before i saw your reply i pulled the covers and saw the oil pump was off of it's timing mark relative to the rest of the pulleys. So i realigned the marks again and ran the truck for a short minute, while watching the merry go round that is the belt system, and the vibration is gone. However, when i shut it off and rechecked the marks, the oil pump marks were off again! Not sure of how that is possible, unless the oil pump is somehow not mechanically "direct coupled" to the pulley. I'm very mechanical, but not a mechanic as it were, so this leaves me very curious as to how that could be. I'm not sure at this point if i want to pull it completely apart to check your idea bein' as how all seems to be well. Any ideas on that? Is there a possibility that it could still be out, but not enough to cause the vibe, and be starving the system for oil some where? Lots of questions i know. I just want to be sure.
I had a "mechanic" do a head gasket on this truck awhile back and it appeared that he reassembled it and test ran it without refilling it with oil! I found this out later when i started having problems with it and found he had disconnected the oil sending wire and stuffed it up under the harness to hide the problem. I found a donor engine from a '91 that was a Boeing Co facility truck with only 49K on the truck. The '91 had never been road licensed since it was facility only. I have great expectations that this engine should last a very long time. I am simply doing a full maintenance before i give the truck to my son who is returning from Afghanistan and back to the civilian life soon. Sorry for rambling, lot's of time and effort wrapped up into this project, I want it to finish right. Gary
droppedmitsu   +1y
I think all the marks only line up every 4 or maybe 8 spins of the motor, so turn the motor over with a wrench a few times and see if they all the line up aftee going around a few times.
Page 1 of 1