Page 1 of 2
Max Engine \  sound like real high rpm

sound like real high rpm

Max Engine Max Tech
views 2445
replies 11
following 4

mighty85max   +1y
hey i have a 1985 mitsubishi mighty max and when i'm going 55 to 60 mph it sounds like i'm at 3500 to 4000 rpms can anyone help me?
mighty85max   +1y
How could i test that to make sure that is it not saying its not just wanting to learn
greenteagod   +1y
Found this from a member on a hotrod site. In doing some simple google searches I've found other people performing similar tests to check if the fan clutch is bad:

"Start with the car off. Jiggle the fan forward and back. If there is any play at the clutch shaft, its bad. Give the fan a spin. It should move freely, but stop almost instantly, as if the clutch were filled with mashed potatoes. Start the engine. The fan should turn pretty briskly; almost as fast as the crank. Now use a rolled up newspaper to gently try and stop the fan. You should be able to when its cool. Throw away the ruined newspaper. Rev the engine, you should notice that the fan increases speed, but not proportionally to the crank speed. The clutch is full of viscous fluid, so the air friction on the fan starts overcoming the friction of the fluid in the clutch and it stops accelerating with the engine. The fan won't roar. Then let it get hot. You might have to drive it around some stop and go streets to get it to lock up the clutch. Now when you accelerate, you should hear the fan roaring a little louder. If you stop the car, shut off the engine, and try to spin the fan, it shouldn't move."
mighty85max   +1y
The fan clutch is fine i done the newspaper thing and it didn't change the idle at all
mighty85max   +1y
Nor stop the fan
mighty85max   +1y
Would a distributor vacuum advance diapham cause a high rpm?
mighty85max   +1y
so no one can how me figure out what is wrong with my high rpm problem ok thank you to all that has viewed my post and answered on my post
mighty85max   +1y
not sure but it sounds like 3500 to 4000 rpms i really don't know cause i don't have a tec. but does anyone know where the throttle position sensor is on the carb in
my 1985 mitsubishi mighty max 2.0
sleeps   +1y
You dont have a TPS sensor on a carb engine. So uh, no I cant help you find it, and if your going 55 to 60 mph your prolly going high RPM's, our trucks dont have great gearing for highway use.
droppedmitsu   +1y
actually they do have a TPS, even though they are carbed. But only 87-89 I believe.