Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  Replacement Carburetors?

Replacement Carburetors?

Max Engine Max Tech
views 6010
replies 6
following 3

chriscarpenter   +1y
I seem to be having some carb issues on my 86 d50.
I have the 2.6 motor with an auto transmission.
It spits and sputters under acceleration and will even stall when going from a dead stop if I gun it.
After some research, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good replacement carburetor?
here is the one I am currently looking at:

Thank you,
-Chris
joe   +1y
Here are some rambling thoughts....

I've got a manual tranny '86 2.0 that doesn't run. Didn't run when I bought it. I thought it had carb problems so I got one off ebay that was advertised as off a running vehicle. That didn't solve the problem and it still won't start so I have thrown more money at it in an attempt to get it to run.

Sure didn't want to cough up the moola for a Weber just in case that wasn't the problem. Glad I didn't. Yours does sound like fuel problems, though.

I see they have rebuild kits for these mikuni carbs. If yours is stumbling on acceleration, that tells me accelerator pump. You could buy a kit and overhaul the thing.

Have you noticed the three little cylindrical solenoids that thread into the sides of the carb.? They control bowl venting and other things. If you want a shock, go price those....That carb I bought off ebay cost 85 dollars. One of those solenoids costs that much!!! FYI, I have an identical truck that I drive. As a test, I started the engine and disconnected those solenoids one at a time. 2 of the three had no effect on the engine. Unhooked the third and the engine died immediately. Didn't sputter and die, so that tells me that it has an electrical connection to the ignition.

What carb do you have. I found online disassembly instructions for the Mikuni 32-35 DIDTA carb I have.

The ID number of your carb is on top of the thing on the side toward the engine. It is hard to read since it is printed in ink, not stamped into the metal.

All I can say is lots of luck.....
chriscarpenter   +1y
Thank you for you diagnosis.
I have been trying to avoid a rebuild altogether, I have been told by several mechanics that the carb. on the truck is very difficult to rebuild. I am thinking that it may be worth the extra buck to replace it altogether anyways.
Do you know of any good replacement carburetors?
Btw I was unable to find that ID, but the engine in the truck is the 2.6 G54B
joe   +1y
Look on ebay. Weber is the brand I see offered. Type in "Mighty Max Carburetor" or "Dodge D50 Carburetor" or Mikuni 32-35 or 32-36 or something along those lines. Something will show up. Actually, right now the guy I bought my carb from has some more of them listed for sale.

The worst part about taking these Mikuni carbs apart is the drilling the rivets out of the bracket covering the choke assembly on the side of the carb. That stopped me. I got a few other screws loose and removed, but couldn't get the ones hidden by that bracket and without going to some trouble I couldn't get the rivets drilled out.

If I remember right, the carb kit isn't cheap. The Weber carbs are selling for between 3 and 4 hundred dollars, so it's whatever you want to do!
chriscarpenter   +1y
I have also heard that there are some ball bearings that will fall out if you don't pull it apart correctly. Those Mikuni carbs are "over engineered" from what I have been told.
Thanks for your help,
I feel much more confident about what I need to do next!
ewpeowllopl   +1y
It
joe   +1y
Just thought I'd add this. Bought the Weber carb, installed it on the truck and it works great. Engine started right up and the carb works great right out of the box.

That carb saved that truck.
Page 1 of 1