Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  fuel pump

fuel pump

Max Engine Max Tech
views 2560
replies 8
following 5

c03camson   +1y
I had to remove the carb and fuel pump to change out a freeze plug and when I put everything back together it wont stay running. I can pour gas in the carb to fill up the bowl and it will run perfect until that fuel runs out, then die.

So the carb isn't getting fuel and Im thinking I put the fuel pump on wrong somehow. Its a 1988 mighty max 2.0 manual. any help would be much appreciated.
slow50   +1y
did you put the little rod back in there that drives the fuel pump?
c03camson   +1y
Yeah the rod is in there and I tried to push it back in the block so i could put the pump back on but its really hard to move back in. I rotated the engine too and that didn't help. it seems like its jammed in there. I gotta pull it out and look at it.
slow50   +1y
i think theres suposed to be a thick spacer behind the pump too.
c03camson   +1y
yeah I got the spacer. I took that little rod out that actuates the pump and its bent a little bit. I wonder if its suppose to be that way.
c03camson   +1y
When I turn the engine the pushrod doesn't move out so that means its not actuating the fuel pump. Does that mean that the lobe on the camshaft is messed up?
sfury   +1y
i also replace my fuel pump on my 86 and no the rod is suppose to be straight, so its quite possible u messed up or possibly the camshaft. it can be quite tricky putting it in there
piepers79d50   +1y
My 79 won't go back in either it hits the valve and hEad bolt. I think the mounting studs are too long so you can't get the right angle to place the little rod on the cam. I'm gonna pull em an try bolts instead like in the old v8's better idea anyway
Danyo   +1y
I know I'm bringing back a dead thread, but did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Page 1 of 1