threads
Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  Changing the Rear end/gear ratio?

Changing the Rear end/gear ratio?

Max Engine Max Tech
views 4007
replies 8
following 4

regencsa   +1y
Hi folks,

I don't own a d50 yet, but I am about to go look at a truck tonight that's on craigslist. a second generation d50 body (don't know what yr) 2wd that someone swapped a mercedes diesel and 4spd into, (maybe someone here knows the truck?)

i know and like mercedes diesels so it seems interesting. he says it runs good. he is running it with big rear wheels cause the gearing is so low.

question: is there an easy way to change the rear gear ratio without swapping out the whole rear end? maybe a rebuild kit?

what is the highest ratio i can easily put in there?

it would be nice to get the full fuel efficiency advantages of the mercedes motor.

thanks!
texasfittys   +1y
hi hows it going? i only know of one truck thats had a mercedes diesel put in it but i dont remember if its a 4 speed or what. a guy we called walt had it. is this the guys name?
regencsa   +1y
the guy who has the truck now is called krister.

there are 31" wheels on the back right now, which looks cool, but i don't wanna have to push that much tire around if i don't have to.

i never took a differential apart before. probably can't be too complicated. isn't the same housing/axle able to carry different gearing ration?

i'm googling around for insight, but not much luck yet
texasfittys   +1y
theres a few different gear ratios available...they are pretty easy to swap out, take the nuts off that hold the carrier and gears and then the four axle flange nuts on each side, slide the axles out then the third member/carrier will slide out. i think the most popular gear ratios are 3.545 and 3.909 but if im not mistaken they go down to a 4.22 but i dont know what the highest ratio is available. i think the rear diffs from some monteros and raiders will swap with the trucks too as long as they have the same size ring gear
capev86   +1y
yeah....with a 4.22 final drive and .89 5th gear, highway cruising is "tough" in my 87 ram 50. towing 2 sleds on a snowmobile trailer in 5th gear with a totally shot, oil burning, pinging like crazy short stroke 4 banger piece of junk.....that was easy!

if i could get a 3.54 final drive and swap to taller tires on 15 inch rims (thinking 87 raider/4x4 pickup 5 spokes like the stock 14's on my truck), it should be more fun on the highway and still have decent get up and go provided i get something bigger in there like a 6 bolt 2.4, 2.3 stroker conversion, or maybe a v6 or v8 swap if i could get a bellhousing adapter cheap.
texasfittys   +1y
gonna do all that work might as well go with a v6 or v8 conversion and get the extra 200 hp. if you swap to taller tires and 3.54 gears its just gona lug your truck down even worse even without towing something. i had 3.54 gears with a 5 spd manual and a g52b with 225 60 16 tires and got horrible gas milage and was slow as hell, i simply switched to 3.909 gears and picked up a ton of gas milage and tons more low end power because the motor was workin so much less to get the truck motivated and keep it there. im gonna put a ford 302 with a 5 speed from a mustang behind it and a limited slip 8.8 with 3.73 gears in my truck. lots of power for fun and work and in the same breath that 302 wont have any work behind it and will do pretty good on mpgs
capev86   +1y
yes, a 3.54 will not be as spunky as a 4.22, but even a 3.54 is a reasonably aggressive final drive ratio. a 2.4 swap would certainly make up the difference and then some. sorry, but i HATE short stroke engines, especially small 4 banger ones and have wanted to change out the stock powerplant since i got the truck. mitsubishi had the right idea when they swapped in a 4 inch (100mm) stroker crank in that little engine. i had a dynasty with the 2.5 dodge engine in it (4.09 stroke) and with a 3.02 final drive and being heavier it was as zippy as my ram 50. that 2.6 shouldn't need so much rear gear unless you are doing tractor pulls or rock climbing. but yes, once you get used to the extra oomph you will miss it in around town driving when you swap to a more highway friendly gear. highway fuel mileage should be significantly improved with a softer final drive.
rranger   +1y
hi I have 2 1985 d50's both standard tranny 4 wheel drive power rangers. One gas and one diesel. The gas is a 2.6 the diesel a 2.3. I'm fixing body parts on the gas one to restore it. The diesel body and frame are rusted and shot. Id like to put the diesel drive train into the gas one when my body work is done. My biggest question is about rear ends. is the 2.6 gas rear end the same as the 2.3 diesel and if not are the "guts" interchangeable.
Page 1 of 1