Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  2.6 Head 1980 1986? D50

2.6 Head 1980 1986? D50

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1123
replies 2
following 2

magnum43   +1y
Help!!!! Does anybody know whether a 1980 2.6 head will fit a 1986 2.6 block? Also, what will I need to do to my 1980 5 speed driveshaft to fit 1986 automatic or does anybody have or know where I may find one. Any ideas will be helpful, thank you!
metalbender1   +1y
the heads will bolt up, the only difference in our motors are some heads had a 3rd valve known as a swirl jet valve. and in some blocks they eliminated the counter shafts, idk as to why. as far as the driveshafts go they should interchange. the only difference in the trans's i know of is some were called narrow blocks which came in the starions, and the wide blocks that came in the trucks, the internals are the same for both the cases are the only difference
magnum43   +1y
Hi! Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help. I have a 1980 D50 that I bought a new head for which does not have the jet valves. I was told this was a replacement for it. Unfortunately, when I pulled the head off I had cylinder issues. I recently found a 1986 D50 with a cracked head but, a good lower end. The only difference in the trucks is my 1980 is 5 speed and the 1986 is an automatic. I was concerned about the heads matching and the shaft because the one in the '86 is missing. The info you gave me is definately helpful. Thank you very much, Terry
Page 1 of 1