Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  Need some input

Need some input

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1233
replies 3
following 4

mitsufan   +1y
I have a stock 92 mighty max 2.4 auto FI. When it is about 50 degrees or below outside it will start, maybe run at 300 rpm...it also misses and bucks, pressing the gas does nothing and eventually it dies. Now, if you sit outside and keep trying to start it for literally a hour of letting it do the above it slowly gets better until the temp needle is about halfway then it will stay running just fine but will hesitate a bit. If you drive it for a bit, then this too will go away. Just a side note, SOMETIMES if you hold the gas when it cold it will start rev up for a few seconds and slowly idle down until it dies..........like sometimes its getting spurts of gas then its like it stops and dies and it backfires through the intake. I have replaced the spark plugs fuel fiter air filter and the temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing.........i smell gas and its always white smoking after it warms up and wont stop............it also uses half a tank of gas every 75 miles, it doesnt black smoke at all only white smoke but it burns your eyes pretty good. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks
metalbender   +1y
white smoke is a blown head gasket 90% of the time antifreeze dont burn that well, as for the rest backfiring through the carb check your timing mitsu says 5-10 degrees before top dead center. and the fuel in spurts thing, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? or put in some fuel system cleaner, id do both. look at the oil on your dipstick see if its brown like chocolate milk or if theres oil in the radiator these are both signs of a blown head gasket
92slammedmitsu   +1y

or it sounds like a cracked head maybe
sleeps   +1y
So it runs fine once it is warmed up? But gets bad milage and smokes? Doesnt sound like 1 problem, sounds like a few. How long has this been happening?

Look in your head, take the oil cap off and see is the oil looks milky. After you had it running that is. Drain the oil if you cant tell by the head. If it is milky whiteish, and or really wattery. As in, if it flows abnormaly fast and smooth.

It also sounds like a bad fuel problem. Bad regulator or bad injectors possibly.
Page 1 of 1