Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  need a little advice

need a little advice

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1126
replies 7
following 4

88stockmits   +1y
hey guys i got a little problem. I've got a 88 mm and for some reason it keeps overheating. it only overheats when i drive it though. It an sit at idle forever and never overheat but as soon as i drive it down the road it overheats. Its got a new thermostat, upper and lower hoses and new radiator cap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
ryan4dc   +1y
Maybe the fan went out. Its belt driven but still operates with temperature.
88stockmits   +1y
I'll try that. the fan seems to be working. what exactly does the fan clutch do. and would that make it overheat while running. i would think it would make it overheat sitting idle since it has no air pushing into it
ryan4dc   +1y
Not too sure how it would either but a posibility. I remember in school the teacher said to check it was to turn the engine on and try to stop the fan with a stick. It shouldn't stop but if it does then the fan was bad. Was the hvac teacher. Can't hurt to try unless you jam the stick in the fan.
droppedmitsu   +1y
The motor turns the fan, so if the fan is failing then it is not turning it nearly fast enough when at idle and sitting there and it overheats, but when driving maybe the extra air flow keeps it from overheating as easily. To check it, do as Ryan4dc said, thats the way I've heard to check it.
88stockmits   +1y
it don't overheat when its sitting idle it just does it when i drive it
khrome   +1y
Just changed my radiator on my '89. I was having the same issue, now its runs cool.
88stockmits   +1y
thanks guys did you try to take the radiator to a shop and have it cleaned or you just buy a new one
Page 1 of 1