Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  90 mm surging at cruise and idle

90 mm surging at cruise and idle

Max Engine Max Tech
views 976
replies 0
following 1

akauf   +1y
the motor surges in a similar pattern while idling and cruising. Accel, decel is smooth and fine. compression front to back. 160-154-153-160. also Idle speed is normal just surges / skips.

Little info on the truck:
2wd macro got it from original owners with <65k miles for $500. came with head removed and cracked. sat with the head off only the closed hood covering the motor for 4+ years.
didn't hone the cylinders, just threw a used head on and go. I know, I know, half ass'd doesn't cover the job I did lol. wiseco and eagles are in the near future and a brand new 4g63 head so y bother waseting time with the crap stock stuff).

Observations:
1) throttle plate "twitches" with key turned on and engine not running. Stops when engine is started.

2) The fuel pump "surges" with engine at idle.

3) Valve taps and burns crazy oil after cold start. not so bad after several hours, usually just a puff, really bad after sitting overnight or a day or two. No blue smoke once warm. ( cracked ring I'm guessing)

4) Oily discharge form exhaust. water and dark oil, enough to leace large patches on the ground lol

5) And the surging I've described.

What do you guys think? I'm gunna get around to a leak down test one of these days. I've got too much other stuff with higher priority then the max but I was about to lose my mind coming home form work toda when i was acting up particularly bad.
Thanks for looking
Page 1 of 1