Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  anyone else do a V8 ?

anyone else do a V8 ?

Max Engine Max Tech
views 8993
replies 8
following 7

mightymits   +1y
if anybody swapped in a v8 post some pics. I just finished mine and was curious to see some others done. I think it looks pretty cool
d50got_air   +1y
I have a V-8 and an auto trans (318/904) that will soon be going in. In hopes of finding some mounts that I can use but will probably be making my own..what did you use??
laidmits   +1y
QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THE V8 SWAP. DO YOU GUYS HAVE EMISION TESTING IN YOUR STATE? IF SO, HOW DOES THAT WORK TO PASS? IN CALI, A V8 SWAP WOULD FAIL JUST ON THE VISUAL.
mightymits   +1y
as far as emissions you would have to make it EFI to even try to pass. I made my own mounts Ill have to either post some pics or email them to ya
pure insanity   +1y
ive done two different swaps. one was a a 231ci 3.8L motor from a g.m. mid 80's car. it was pretty cool.
the other was a 351 windsor ford motor. i put it in there but dammm what a bunch of crap to get it in there.
any motor will go in pretty decently easy if you have a few fab skills . youll have to build the mounts of course but they arent much. the biggest issue to any motor swap is to have enough floor space. get an auto trans body. i.e. one that came from the factory with an auto trans. they have a bigger trans tunnel in the floor pan and require very little if any mod.
sorry but i dont have any pics left. i did these swaps back in the mid 90's and it was more for fun than anything. there wasnt a scene back then and the internet was still out of my grasp at that point, so there wasnt much need to keep up with pics.
3day   +1y
Im debating on doing a small block chevy in my 88 D50, but I would like to see pics of what it looks like before I start into it. If anyone has any pics, please post them. Thanks!
pimptruckman92   +1y
i was considering a v8 swap into the mighty max i might get. it has an auto trans and a 4 cyl right now. a guy at my bodyshop has a 318 non magnum for really cheap but then i would have to track down a trans and then gettin it all to fit, wiht the motor mounts and all.

but i have a question: would a v8 conversion damage the stock rear axle if the stock gears were left in??? i was afraid if i put that much power to it that it would mess up the rear axle.. besides killing my gas milage which i dont want to do.
mightymits   +1y

I would be willing to say if you go "easy" it would hold up, But then again with all the other work your gonna do why not swap out the axle also. You could always try it and if it blows it blows. Then you know what you have to do.
rednec_d   +1y
a mild 318 will not kill a stock rear but you will burn one tire off because of the diff. Right now i have located a mopar 383 and am considering putting it in my 86 d50 or my 84 dodge diplomat. here is a secret guys, cut the motor mounts off flip them and mount them lower and you can fit a 440 without hood mods. I have a small writeup of a guy that did this. i talked to him and its not as hard if you know what to look for but a 440 will kill the stock rear i am sure so he went with a differant rear also so he could get a LSD.
Page 1 of 1