Page 1 of 1
Ranger Audio/Interior \  DIY Interiors

DIY Interiors

Ranger Audio/Interior Ranger Tech
views 1134
replies 3
following 2

sparkranger   +1y
How exactly do you go about doing so? I know you need the basics (material, addhesive(sp)) but does anyone have a site/their own tutorial on how to re-upholster things?

Trying to save as much money as possible so anything is appreciated.
Thanks.
tiger   +1y
Any specific tips you need? What parts are you wanting to redo, and in what material?

I did have a tutorial up over at Generation-Edge, but Jason decided his site wasn't needed and shut it down....or seomthing, I dunno. About the only general advice I've got is to take your time, use high quality ahesive (3M Super 90 is the shit...DAP contact cement works really well too), and get a material that has a decent stretchability if you plan to cover parts with complex curves.
sparkranger   +1y
I had planned on doing basically anything I could (not all in one day). My dash is crap so that would be the first thing I had planned on. I was hopping to use Tweed depending on prices (should be cheap right?).

I dont have a center console but building one (out of wood) would be fun for me. I say that because my dad would go nuts.

Basically any tips, pics, advice, sites for prices on materials...anything is appreciated.
tiger   +1y
Um...I'm not sure about prices for tweed, I think around $10/yard, I do know one place, but it's $32/yard.

Tweed is a good generic material to use, it conforms easily to nearly any and every curve, and as long as you you use good glue and let it set-up properly, it'll last for a while. It's a good idea to stay away from cheap material, whatever you decide to use, it'll fade in the sun in a short while.

The basic procedure is to have the peice you want to cover on its own. Lay the peice on top of the fabric and mark around the outside with a 2" overlap. Make very sure that you leave 2" overlap from not outside shape, but from the visable edge...sometimes peices will wrap around and still have visable surface....so you want to make sure you cover everything. I normally spray glue on just the peice, not the fabric, make sure the peice is clean though. For complex curves and compound curves, spray glue on both the peice and the fabric. Let the glue set-up according to the directions, typically 15 mins, then lay your fabric down. For large areas, start in the middle and work your way out, this is to make sure you don't put the fabric on crooked and you cover the whole panel. Work the fabric smooth and let dry. If you've got to cut holes for speakers or defrost or something, from the back side, cut an X, then another X 45 degrees off the second one...more glue on the back side, and stretch your fabric over the edge of the hole and onto the backside.

It's not that hard really, after the first few peices you'll get a feel for the material and what you're doing.
Page 1 of 1