Page 1 of 2
Ranger Engine \  CAT or NO CAT?

CAT or NO CAT?

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 2159
replies 14
following 8

the twanksta   +1y
Hey guys, I am going to get my exhaust cut off and run turn-downs from my muffler so i can drop it. While I was at it I was wondering if the truck would run better with or without a cat? Im pretty sure the cat i have on now is bad but i dont want to buy another one.So if its better w/o ill just run pipe straight to my muffler and run turns downs off that. Would there be enough bakc pressure though? or would it just make things worse?THANKS!
wht01ranger   +1y
your truck will smell like shit...i cut mine off and gas fumes suck ass in stand still traffic lol...especially when i had turn downs

keep the cat in i say...let us breathe better lol
layingframe89   +1y
yeah plus its illegal i think in most states but yeah the 1 maybe 1 1/2 horsepower that u might gain from that small 2.3 u are not going to notice except for what mark said the smell
bodydropped85   +1y
its very illegal get caought its about a 15k fine.
the twanksta   +1y
here in fl, its not a big deal..they dont check stuff like that hear, unless you are just obnoxious. Dont know what would happen ifi got pulled over in another state though...lol.
spngr311   +1y
Just keep your CAT or replace it.
the twanksta   +1y
I wasnt thinking about cutting it for more power, just wondered if it would take away alot of power due to no pressure feedback. But yeah Im gonna either just keep it or replace it with a new one, cuz i like the way my truck sounds now.everyone asks if im a v-6...haha!
daweezi   +1y
yea my neighbor asks me that all the time and i just laugh and ask him when he is goin to help me with a swap cuz i sure as hell dont have a v6
infernoford   +1y
If the cat you have is pluged you notice a big difference in power, gas mileage, ect. by either putting a new one on or removeing it. If you have an OBD 1 truck you will not lose any power, it will only make your exhaust flow better. If you have an OBD 2 truck you need the cat for the motor to run properly, without it you will pop a code and you my experience driveability problems. One way to check if your cat is pluged is to hook up a vaccume guage to the intake, hold the motor at 2500rpm, after you reach 2500 watch the guage, if it starts to lose vaccume you probably have a pluged cat or other exhaust restriction. Hope that helps.
the twanksta   +1y
where do i get a vacuum gauge and ow much do they run?? And yes I have a OBD 1 truck, so you say i wont lose any power, and it will actually help?? i dont know if my cat is plugged any more...cuz it was restricting it big time but then one dy i heard CLUNK and i got a big power boost. haha, im pretty sure that was the insides of whatver it was that broke.Thanks for the help though!