threads
Page 1 of 1
Canada \  My truck is totally screwed,,,, help !!

My truck is totally screwed,,,, help !!

Canada Events
views 3083
replies 9
following 6

bushrat   +1y
My 1989 b2200 drives fine with full power for about 5 km. the engine will have a large hesitation and slowly lose power. I put it in neutral and turn off the truck completely for a few seconds and then start it up. The truck will run good until the next hesitation. I drove it for about 2 hrs on the highway like this and then took it to the Mazda dealer in kelowna. They told me nothing I already knew. Try new plug wires, and the carb screws might be out of whack. Please help me guys,, I need to use this truck for work and getting the rest of the way home from kelowna approx 4 more hrs of driving. Also the wire for the electronic choke was disconnected. I asked the mechanic if he could re attach it for me cause I couldn't find where the long wire connected to. Thanks for any input !!
baha   +1y
Sounds like you may have a fuel delivery problem, have you already changed the fuel filter?
sincitylocal   +1y
^ What he said. Your fuel sock in the tank might be plugged too.
bushrat   +1y
Thanks guys I will drop the tank and change the f filter also when I get back to kelowna. Also if I am gonna try to get the carb adjuster screw back to a neutral point where would I start?
emjay   +1y
wire for the choke hooks into the back of the alternator.
sincitylocal   +1y
Keep in mind, the filter is not in the tank, just the sock is.
The filter is under the hood, on the right side wheel well for carb... on the firewall for EFI.
dan woodland   +1y
Be cool bushrat guys here will get you back on the road.
applianceguy   +1y
+1 what emjay said. Check to make sure the choke is opening. That wire that was hanging there is important to the opening of the choke plate. It connects to a socket inside the rear of the alternator. Use a flashlight and a compact mirror to see behind the alternator.
The Choke will not open until that wire is re-connected!!

It sends a low DC voltage (7 volts?) to a choke heater, so it does not open immediately, but slowly to allow time for the engine to warm up. (There is a graduated cam on the carburetor throttle to keep it engaged, until the engine warms up.) At normal engine operating temps, the choke should fully open, after you throttle it from idle.
If you get the choke to operate properly.., and it still runs like crap, then most likely, running it that rich has caused the cats to become melted/ clogged.
If your exhaust sounds like a Potato in the muffler and you get really poor throttle response from idle, and no power..., well then your exhaust cats are clogged. It will run for awhile, but if the exhaust gases are not emitting, then it causes a vapor lock/type condition.

On both of my B's I just remove #2 cat and then use a big pipe to hollow it out. Then run the bjeebers out of it w/out anything where #2 cat was...,to clear out #1 cat. (It does not hollow out #1, it only burns out all of the carbon and anti-freeze accumulation from overheat/head gasket failure) When you feel as though it has burned out all the crap.... , and you haven't gotten pulled over for excessive noise, then re-install the hollowed out #2 cat, and run it like that until you can get the new replacement one welded in.

It should be a very noticeable improvement in how it runs and sounds. If not, find out what the prob. is B4 installing the new cat, or you could ruin it, if you still have a too rich condition, or anti-freeze in the cylinders.
They sell the weld in #2 cats cheap on e-bay. I paid only about 60 dollars for each one and they were name brand close-outs. One was a Flowmaster and the other was a Cherry Bomb.
100% improvement in how they run.
bushrat   +1y
I am heading over to grab my truck on Saturday. I am just new to the whole wrenching thing. I really enjoy it! When it goes well that is,,,, with your guys' help it seems like anything is possible I cannot thank u enough,,,, appliance guy, your pointers are very in depth and easy to understand. I believe it's because u Texans give a shit!,,,, I played golf in college just outside of Dallas and met a lot of great people there. Thanks too u my good man and sin city local, baha, dan woodland and emjay
I have a good feeling that I will be back on top soon and heading in the rt direction....
U might hear from me later on Saturday afternoon if I get stuck in a rut. Cheers!!!!
applianceguy   +1y
10-4 there Bushrat! ! We call it "Southern engineering!!" around these parts. Sometimes you have to put a band-aid on them, until you can have the time/money to repair them properly.

Page 1 of 1