threads
Page 1 of 1
General Discussion \  New member, first Isuzu, got big plans!

New member, first Isuzu, got big plans!

General Discussion
views 1366
replies 8
following 6

loudcherokee   +1y
Hello folks,

I've been on a search for an Isuzu pickup for quite some time, and finally found a 91 model, just down the street from me. I'll be picking it up on Friday, and cant wait to get started with the custom work. I'm going to buy a welder on Friday as well, and some fiberglass filler, and lots of sandpaper.

I've already got a cart saved at Grant Kustoms for a roll pan, license plate box, door popper kit, and door handle fillers. I'm now wondering though if I need to cancel the roll pan and license plate box, and replace it with a full skin instead. I planned on welding up the tailgate anyways, but need a new tailgate for the Pup, so the full skin may be the way for me to go. I just need to find out if the body line is stamped into the skin or not. I don't want it to be completely smooth.

Anyways, to simplify things, I'm trying to recreate a truck from my child hood. My best friend drove this truck for a few years, before totaling it in a pretty bad wreck. Here's a pic of what I'm planning for my pup, pretty much an exact recreation with the exception of the wheels.

thread post photo

Here's the wheels I'm planning on getting, and putting some 225/55/16 rubber on them. I'm not into the huge oversized wheels, especially since my car already has 17"s and last time I bought tires it was almost $800. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of them, but they're just not for me. Besides, I'd rather get the extra inch or two in static drop without having to notch anything.

thread post photo

LC
spacedout   +1y
hey love the ideas but those wheels wont work unless they are available in a six lug pattern. or you can swap the rearend and front hubs out of a toyota. whatever you decide have fun with it remember its your truck right.
baha   +1y
Welcome to the site, can't wait to see this build I love seeing old school.
gldsuzi   +1y
you shoildn't really just weld the tailgate shut you should defanantly go with the full combo, have fun with the build man it's the best part!!
loudcherokee   +1y
The wheels are available in 6x5.5, but they're 16x8, and i'm still worried about them tucking. The backspacing is 4 7/8 with +10 offset. Lowzone explained alot to me, but I cant wrap my head around it to understand it. I guess when it comes to it, I'll have to order the wheels from somewhere with a nice return policy.

As far as the tailgate skin goes, I'm still bouncing that idea around. I'm thinking I can use some sheet metal to fill in the gaps on the tailgate sides and bottom. I just don't know yet. I will probably end up ordering a full skin with box combo, to save the hassle, and have less welds.

LC
loudcherokee   +1y

Does the tailgate need to stay on the truck when installing the full skin, or can it just be welded to the bedsides?
slammedxonair   +1y
Hell yea kickin it old school style. Juice that thing! As for a cali combo it would replace the entire rear sheetmetal. You would probably want to build a frame for it out of 1" or 1.5" thin 11 gauge box tube to add some structure back there.
gldsuzi   +1y

X2 on that
isuzueh   +1y
welcome man that a cool ass truck can't wait to see yours!
Page 1 of 1