threads
Page 1 of 1
General Discussion \  New member, first Isuzu, got big plans!

New member, first Isuzu, got big plans!

views 1115
replies 8
following 6

loudcherokee   +1y
Hello folks,

I've been on a search for an Isuzu pickup for quite some time, and finally found a 91 model, just down the street from me. I'll be picking it up on Friday, and cant wait to get started with the custom work. I'm going to buy a welder on Friday as well, and some fiberglass filler, and lots of sandpaper.

I've already got a cart saved at Grant Kustoms for a roll pan, license plate box, door popper kit, and door handle fillers. I'm now wondering though if I need to cancel the roll pan and license plate box, and replace it with a full skin instead. I planned on welding up the tailgate anyways, but need a new tailgate for the Pup, so the full skin may be the way for me to go. I just need to find out if the body line is stamped into the skin or not. I don't want it to be completely smooth.

Anyways, to simplify things, I'm trying to recreate a truck from my child hood. My best friend drove this truck for a few years, before totaling it in a pretty bad wreck. Here's a pic of what I'm planning for my pup, pretty much an exact recreation with the exception of the wheels.

Here's the wheels I'm planning on getting, and putting some 225/55/16 rubber on them. I'm not into the huge oversized wheels, especially since my car already has 17"s and last time I bought tires it was almost $800. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of them, but they're just not for me. Besides, I'd rather get the extra inch or two in static drop without having to notch anything.

LC
spacedout   +1y
hey love the ideas but those wheels wont work unless they are available in a six lug pattern. or you can swap the rearend and front hubs out of a toyota. whatever you decide have fun with it remember its your truck right.
baha   +1y
Welcome to the site, can't wait to see this build I love seeing old school.
gldsuzi   +1y
you shoildn't really just weld the tailgate shut you should defanantly go with the full combo, have fun with the build man it's the best part!!
loudcherokee   +1y
The wheels are available in 6x5.5, but they're 16x8, and i'm still worried about them tucking. The backspacing is 4 7/8 with +10 offset. Lowzone explained alot to me, but I cant wrap my head around it to understand it. I guess when it comes to it, I'll have to order the wheels from somewhere with a nice return policy.

As far as the tailgate skin goes, I'm still bouncing that idea around. I'm thinking I can use some sheet metal to fill in the gaps on the tailgate sides and bottom. I just don't know yet. I will probably end up ordering a full skin with box combo, to save the hassle, and have less welds.

LC
loudcherokee   +1y

Does the tailgate need to stay on the truck when installing the full skin, or can it just be welded to the bedsides?
slammedxonair   +1y
Hell yea kickin it old school style. Juice that thing! As for a cali combo it would replace the entire rear sheetmetal. You would probably want to build a frame for it out of 1" or 1.5" thin 11 gauge box tube to add some structure back there.
gldsuzi   +1y

X2 on that
isuzueh   +1y
welcome man that a cool ass truck can't wait to see yours!
Page 1 of 1