Page 1 of 7
Minitruckin' Magazine \  10 WAYS MINITRUCKIN MAGAZINE COULD BE BETTER

10 WAYS MINITRUCKIN MAGAZINE COULD BE BETTER

Minitruckin' Magazine
views 5517
replies 67
following 62

Rusty320   +1y
I've been reading Minitruckin since the mid 80's. I wasn't into comics (save CarToons magazine) so MiniTruckin was my monthy bible as a teen!

Everyone has read a copy that they LOVE, most likely because there is a feature truck that is a similar year to yours or there is show coverage in that issue with your truck in it... or you went to that particular show Etc,Etc.

Then there are issues that you feel kinda sucked.
For what ever reason, you think it could have been more of "This" less of "that" .
Well I'm sure all the guys at the MiniTruckin hide-out would agree that pleasing every reader is next to impossible.
And I am hoping that they also agree that constructive criticism is a good thing if done right.

This month I recieved my copy of MiniTruckin with a nifty lil cover that said "LAST ISSUE".
Well at first glance I thought.. "last issue?" but then soon realized it was to clue me in to the fact my subscription had run out.
Well, for the first time wondered if it was worth it?
(Well ofcourse it is stupid!)
But I figured I'd throw out some ideas for the guys
and also maybe motivate others to give up some ideas for new issues to come?!
word?
WORD!

So here it is...

10 THINGS MINITRUCKIN MAGAZINE COULD DO, TO MAKE IT BETTER!

1. FLASHBACK COVERS- have a page in the magazine that is a cover from a decade ago, Not a picture of the cover, the whole page like you are holding a mag from 1992, on the reverse side use half of the page to do a mini feature of a ride from the issue...note somthing from the issue or what ever? (shows, fads, old "lifestyle" pics) There are tons of back issues? and if you're 17 or 18 years old, you have never seen them!
(this is where we are from)

2. RIDE HEIGHT SHOTS- some may disagree and I understand that its about laying license plate... but a small picture of the truck's FBSS is cool! I think this is big part of what we do (fabricate suspensions) so "Show it off, working"

3. OWNER PICS- again, some may dissagree (like boats in a truck magazine) but one of the cool things about TAILGATE magazine is, it somtimes has a pic of the dude that built the ride (and his wifey too?) Yes, it is all about the truck, although we also preach comunity and lifestyle, so a picture of the dude at the shoot in his ride with his big sh*t eating grin on his face would be cool too because it motivates us and also lets us see what the expression of success looks like.

4. BEFORE AND AFTERS- (in the mags defense, I have seen it, but more is good) Ask the owner if he/she has a "Day 1" picture to throw at the top of the Low down section?
Sometimes it was a twisted chunk of metal that they started with?
Which leads me to my 5th idea...

5. THE BUILD-UP ISSUE- here is a cool concept, We all love a good "build thread" on our favorite forums. And most of us take a million photos
along the way to "cover truckism", so find a feature truck that the owner (or shop) took a lot of pics from the start.
And then take the reader on the journey with an interview from the builders perspective. And do it all in one issue! 3 month follow alongs suck in my opinion.
(THEN, mirror the pages here, as a thread so we all can talk amongst our selfs lol.)

6. VINTAGE FEATURE- now that it is nearing 2009, 60's 70's and 80's trucks are considered vintage (Oldschool).
Being a vintage Datsun owner, I know there are literally hundreds of guys out there with older mini's.
(you only need 12 a year right?)
Find one per month and "one page it" in every issue, completed or unfinished!
Most of us rock primer anyway... "old school is coming back"
And it is how we started, sorta.

7. MORE OVER-SEAS FEATURES- this last issue had a Toyota from Japan in it. I have seen over seas features like this in the past, but not enough. This idea should be carried on every issue.
Japan, Australia and other places actually seem to have a bigger scene? (believe it or not)
There are some siiiick trucks over there, plus they have models of trucks we never got in the States!
Use the overseas affiliate mags to swap features for every month!

8. FORCED AD UPDATING- I understand that production of the magazine is a few months ahead at all times AND I understand that its kinda unprofessional to charge someone ad space then demand that they "step up there game" BUT DOOOOOOD?... there has to be a limit to how many times a company can run the same pages with out changing there corny ad.
companies like Auto-loc, airfagit.com and some others have seemingly had the same ad forever? I say an updated ad every 3 issues.
(and to those companies.... thanks for paying the bills with your ads)

9. CHICKS MAN! - I have noticed that we are slowly moving back to girls on the cover.
This is how it was back it the day! (*flashback cover plug)
Trust us, our wifes and girlfriends are already pissed at our stack of mags we refuse to throw away and that we spend all the money and time to build these trucks.
so... you wont hurt anything if you drape some hot girl on the trucks in one shot,
BUT make sure there a good pictures of the truck without the stripper. hahaaaa.

10. WORK THE ANGLES!?- I know the art director likes things a certain way, but jeez.
How many times can you show the same side of the ride?
How about a forward shot or from the ground pointed at the exaust or ???
look, I know shooting a automobile is an art in itself, and you guys do a kick ass job without fail,
but lets use the "BEST OF THE BEST" (Jan/09) issue as an example.

Monte's Nissan is rrrreally nice! (one of the few Nissans that have even graced the cover)
But there are 8 or 9 pictures of the left side of the truck? I counted 12 pages that this truck got coverage (including the cover) and they are all the same side? I'll take into consideration that it appears to be a backdropped (or indoor) photo shoot but...
Unless the truck is smashed up on one side... it seems we could work a new angle...bring a ladder or use two trucks for 12 pages.

Well thats my 2cents... If there was offense taken ...mybad.
If you guys have any other ideas or comments feel free to ad your opinion to mine!

(TO: Mike, Galen, Shawn, Brandon, Justin, Dan, Josh, Phil, Joe,
Jennie, John, Ernie, Max, Bobby, Steve, Ed, Monica and everyone else at Minitruckin Magazine....
THANK YOU FOR DOING WHAT YOU DO!!!)

~Rusty
theinternetkid   +1y
11. Start doing fullsizes.
slammedcivicsi   +1y
Originally posted by theinternetkid

minitruckin magazine........You want fullsizes go get a fullsize mag like Truckin, or even sport truck.

Its a rarity to see a mini in either of those, especially if your not a domestic.
ST LayDBurBan   +1y
Rusty320.. Bro i am DOWN for some more action, More incentives for me to buy it lol!!! I been reading MT since i was 14 holy shit i am old....AM I BE 31 IN 5 DAYS WOO HOO

1. Is a must... I would love to see that old Mazda with some stillen ground effects still why not?? skool some new homeboys!!

9. oh yeahhhhh more and more and more...

in all reality MT should get some more pages as well... i dont mind paying another freakin $1 dollar if need be to cover the cost.. lets do it...

Laterrrr
///RELAXED 720   +1y
Edited: 11/11/2008 5:52:26 PM by ///RELAXED 720

Ok I agree with some of your ideas but 2 things caught my attention ...! was "I've been reading Minitruckin since the mid 80's" MT mag didn't came out until 1988 & there was only 1 issue that year..... 2nd thing was "so MiniTruckin was my monthy bible as a teen!" MT didn't become montly until 93... I started reading MT in 90....sorry I know I'm bein picky lol

Now onto the ideas.........

Flashback Covers -

Ride Height Shots - I could live with or without but ROLLIN' pix are awesome

Owner Pix - I like that idea & they have done it a few mores

Build up Issue - might be kewl

Before & After - I could like w.o it

Vintage Feature - (hell Mike lets even see a 720 or hell even a Unicorn on the cover damn it lol)

Over Seas Feature - HELL YES I've been searchin japanese sites for yrs checkin out the kewl shit they build

Force Ad updatin - doesnt matter waht I say here lol

Chicks -

Work the Angles - thats Mikes job (I can't take pix & he doesnt build airplanes so I want tell him how to do his job lol)

twistedsdime   +1y

Seriously?!?
theinternetkid   +1y
Originally posted by slammedcivicsi

minitruckin magazine........You want fullsizes go get a fullsize mag like Truckin, or even sport truck.

Its a rarity to see a mini in either of those, especially if your not a domestic.

Truck'n sucks, Sport Truck is okay but sometimes I question the stuff they put in there. Street trucks is pretty good but I like the way mini truckn does their mag. Most new "mini's" are mid sizes anyway.
Rusty320   +1y
Edited: 11/11/2008 5:57:22 PM by Rusty320

Originally posted by ///RELAXED 720

ok I agree with some of your ideas but 2 things caught my attention ...! was "I've been reading Minitruckin since the mid 80's" MT mag didn't came out until 1988 & there was only 1 issue that year..... 2nd thing was "so MiniTruckin was my monthy bible as a teen!" MT didn't become montly until 93... I started reading MT in 90....sorry I know I'm bein picky lol

okay, okay... how about this, "I LIKED MINITRUCKIN BEFORE GIRLS" geez yer my only buddy on this forum hahaa RELAX 720

acrochicken   +1y
Rolling shots are overrated lol
ST LayDBurBan   +1y
Originally posted by twistedsdime

Seriously?!?

LOL, Who wants to start a new mag called "Fullsizin"?