Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Welder for sheet metal?

Welder for sheet metal?

Tools Q & A
views 1304
replies 9
following 8

artsar   +1y
Ok so I was going to get a Miller 180 but since we're selling the house soon and I really only need it for doing some tub work I was thinking of a Miller 140. My question is, if I am doing tubs and trunk floors and what not do I need to hook up gas to a welder or can I use use the wire that has the material inside of it? I am just looking to do hobby stuff for now and fix my personal vehicles.

Also anyone have a suggestion for cheap welders other than the Miller 140? AND If I were to use a welder rated for 3/16th material can I use it on 1/4" from time to time? I just need to chamfer (sp?) the edges first to make sure I get deep enough right?

Any info is great. Thanks
xgolferdude   +1y
Ive always heard really good things about the hobart 140..... i would def hook up the gas fo sho
slow50   +1y
ya gas would be better then flux core for sheetmetal. i would look into trying to find a used one theres good deals out there.
i8nt2lo   +1y
I got a Miller 140, and it will work fine on 1/4". Like you said, chamfer the edges and keep it hot and slow and you'll be fine. Mine says to run a double pass on thicker metals. Then turn it down and use it for sheetmetal. The things works great for me. And yes to the gas. You could get a small bottle and probably be fine for a while.
artsar   +1y
--------------------------------------------

I8NT2LO said:

I got a Miller 140, and it will work fine on 1/4". Like you said, chamfer the edges and keep it hot and slow and you'll be fine. Mine says to run a double pass on thicker metals. Then turn it down and use it for sheetmetal. The things works great for me. And yes to the gas. You could get a small bottle and probably be fine for a while.

--------------------------------------------

Sounds good. My buddy just got a Miller 180 since he does more frame work now then before and figured he should upgrade and his Miller 135 is just lying around. Maybe I will offer to pick it up from him. From my understanding the 135 and 140 are just a bit different, one replaced the other...

I also found a Miller 180 with 100ft extension cord so I could use my dryer for 800 bucks, which works since my laundry room is beside the garage. The 180 is $800obo
Rob Clayhill   +1y
Ive got a Hobart 140 and really like it for what i use it on. It can do up to 1/4" steel when prepped right and down to sheet metal just fine. I got a CO2 cylinder hooked up to mine for gas too
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Definitely want to run gas for sheetmetal. Flux burns hotter, you will also want to use .023 wire. I have the Lincoln Power Mig 255Xt and can weld from little 24ga. all the way up to 3/4" metal.
98FRMED150   +1y
i
artsar   +1y
I got word on a Miller 135. That should be good for all the work I will need right?
AZ ARTWORX   +1y
stay with any 110 welder if i were you stay with the newer millers....i sware by the banard stinger upgrade...always always always use gas man it keeps your welds stay
cleaner and fuses thin sheetmetal together better.....i practice high heat but short tacks....alot of people turn down the weld so they dont burn through....just keep your gaps as small as possible overlap if you can slightly... i can weld anything fast with little warp...in the shop i very seldom weld sheet metal and worry...also this way you have less clean up...to be honest the best welder i ever had was a cheap hobart 135...kurt over at autocore does most of his sheetmetal work with one.
Page 1 of 1