Page 1 of 1
Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  locksmith

locksmith

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 1054
replies 5
following 4

lobdyblazr   +1y
Ok I did something dumb. A few weeks ago I got a 1998 eclipse for a daily driver. The car is a total base model..manual windows and door locks. Well, I lost my key before having a chance to make another one. I called one locksmith who said for that car I can not just have a replacement made from the VIN. Another told me it is a programable key and it would cost $170 for a new one. The thing is I KNOW the key that I had was a plain metal key! I called back and told one locksmith that i was sure it was just a plain key, he said he would make me one off my VIN# for $20 but he was sure it would only turn and not crank the car. Any suggestions?
david lee   +1y
as far as i have ever seen, that body style doesn't have an immobilizer chip in the key. You should be able to get a key made off vin, or take him a lock cylinder and they can make it off that too. Hopefully no one has changed the locks since original.

--dlp
slow50   +1y
why not get one made off the vin from the dealership?
Syk96Rngr   +1y
Mine was a 99 and it had no chip in it. Hell I went and had like 10 extra keys made at walmart since I was losing them evey time i turned around. Never had a problem starting.
lobdyblazr   +1y
I appreciate the replies...basically proved what I was thinking.
I am taking the vin down tomorrow.
lobdyblazr   +1y
* update * So the day after i posted this thread, I took my vin to the dealership. Was basically told the same as before ( this is a programable key blah blah..) I explained to the guy that I was positive my last key was a plain ol key. He agreed to make one but would not guarantee it to work. So, he cut the key using my VIN #, I pay him $12.95 + tax and it works perfectly.
thanks to all who helped assure me...
Page 1 of 1