Page 1 of 1
Wheel Questions \  polishing billet help

polishing billet help

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 601
replies 7
following 7

slamdtaco   +1y
so I have some boyd wheels made in 2002. they were sitting for a while when I bought them. they had some buildup on them that wouldn't come off when washing them so I went straight to polishing. I polished them with mothers polish and microfiber rags. then polished with my fingers and mothers polish. there are still some good scratches in them. how do I get the scratches out and have them nice and smooth? I also tried the mothers cone buffer sponge that you put in a drill ( the name of it escapes me right now) but I wasn't very impressed with it. I got faster/better results by hand.
phat phabrikationz   +1y
Sand the troubled areas with 800 grit.

Then 1200 grit and finish with 2000 grit until smooth then reapply polish.
tukn18saccord   +1y
will these steps also work with aluminum air tanks?
gonz   +1y
ditch the regular mothers metal polish and get yourself some mothers BILLET polish. night and day difference than the regular stuff.

if that doesnt work get yourself some wet sandable sand paper and wet sand the rougher areas. start with a rougher grit like 800-1000 then go to 1500 and maybe some 2000 then polish by hand. should yield good results.
post photo
slamdtaco   +1y
thanks guys and I do have the new billet polish
Whiplash   +1y
I used to use Wenol and elbow grease with good results.
frankie   +1y
if that dont work get some jewlers rouge, might not of spelled that right. but sears sells it in a polishing kit. and pick up a ral polishing bit for a drill. not a foam p.o.s. but a real cloth one and put some time in it they will look like brand new.ive saved some wheels for customers that i thought where junk with this way.
THROWNSPRKS   +1y
when i bought my wheels the first thing i did was hit the lips w 1500 grit wet, then 2000 grit wet, then i got out the cotton wheel and attatched it to a air tool, used polishing compound from highest grit to lowest and shit came out like a mirror, also when i did my fuel cell, i did the same steps but to get the really fine swirls out i mixed a lil bit of corn starch w water and did the same thing.
Page 1 of 1