Page 1 of 1
Off-topic \  Keep It or Junk It??

Keep It or Junk It??

Off-topic General Discussions
views 297
replies 3
following 4

Kazoo   +1y
Okay StreetSource peeps I need some advice.........I seem to be up against having my truck's transmission rebuilt and replacing the catalyctic convertor (sounds like a rock is inside it). For the tranny I'm looking at $1,500. For the cat I'm looking at probably $700-1,000.

Truck is a 1994 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500 2WD V-6 Auto w/150,000 miles. It's my first ride, I've owned for 8 years myself, so I've never had to deal with a dilemma like this before.

Is a vehicle like this worth having these high-dollar repairs done to keep it, or should I call a junk-car tow company??

Appreciate any feedback that can be given...........
Uncle Fester   +1y
If its paid for think of all the car payments you saved over the 8 years.
losol   +1y
Theres a bunch of of options.......junking that kind of truck would be last on my list. ...if you fix it up you should get the parts you want and think of it as one less thing you will have to do down the road...... If ya check around you might find some better deals..
r0ckstarr   +1y
Who quoted those prices to you?

You can find a transmission from a junkyard for relatively cheap. Especially for that truck. It only takes a couple hours to swap them out.

Find a mom and pop muffler shop that has been around for a long time. I had my catalytic converter replaced on my Ranger at one of these shops, and it only cost $220.00.

I would seriously shop around before you go back to that mechanic again. You could have both done for right at $500.00 if you do the tranny swap yourself.
Page 1 of 1