Page 1 of 2
Tools \  What welder to get

What welder to get

Tools Q & A
views 3479
replies 12
following 13

lunatiksblazer   +1y
Well I need your opinions on welders, and reasons for your choices would be nice. I am trying to decide on what my new mig will be.

Hobart Handler 210
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler210/

Millermatic 211
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_211_autoset/

Everlast Power I-Mig 200
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power%20I-MIG%20200-375-pd.html

I know everyone is partial to their favorite welder if it maybe red,blue,orange, or green. Please way in
Liquid Vizionz   +1y
the hobart cuz its pretty much a miller, just cheaper... hobarts actually have miller guns
corey0814   +1y

stay away from that autoset though.  i used one, one day when i was helping a buddy who was behing at his muffler shop & the way that thing speeds up & slows down all by itself is f**kin irritating...almost infuriating!  i guess it would be good for a beginner, but i couldn't stand the thing.  i don't know if his was messed up or if i was just too dumb to figure out how to not have it do the autoset thing, but either way i hated it.

you can never go wrong with miller or hobart though.  all my machines have always been millers.  i've never been a big fan of lincoln, but that's like asking a "ford" or "chevy" question, you'll get everyone's 2 cents...it's just a personal preferance.  try out a few friend's machines & make your own decision.  sorry for the "not so difinative" answer...  

fastonthetrack   +1y
Miller 211 is the best welder i've used for light fabrication. Not to mention its Dual Voltage so no matter where your working you'll be able to weld!
sicsan   +1y
i would own nothing but a LINCOLN i bought mine new in 98. never had a problem with it except me getting pissed off and throwing gun down and broke the insulator.. them sometimes har to find if you need one then. ive throwed it kicked it and it still welds great. i almost bought a new one over the summer didnt cause i was moving. and need focus on that. but damn lincoln is only welder ill ever use. tried a miller one time over summer. couldnt get it to weld it was my uncles. i beleive it was out of gas though. he said it had some in it i wasnt arguing with him but if it did have gas it was just a piece of shit
CodyFinesse   +1y
im also a lincoln guy, i love my sp 175, but i also had a 180hd that was amazing, and i have a 100hd right now also for my light sheet metal. i think for the price they are the best.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Lincoln all the way.

Power MIG 255XT - with spool gun
Precision TIG 225 - with cooler

Never had a better set of machines before.

Taylor
blazins10   +1y
i have a lincoln sp140t , a sp175 , and i just got a 255xt , love my lincolns only ones i use
the 175 has been going strong for like 10 years
dropitforme   +1y
I weld with a big miller I belive a cp302 or cp 300 at work and at home use a Lincolin power mig 216 And I would take my smaller lincolin over the miller any day! The lincolin has much smoother feed in my opinion also all parts on the gun are iterchangable with tweeco parts.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Edited: 1/5/2011 1:52:53 PM by UnusualFabrication

I'm a Lincoln man myself. I know the last one isn't a welder but I have nothing but good things to say about all my Lincoln equipment! My TIG is much older than me and it works flawlessly, a little big compared to the newer ones but you can't beat the price of good old used machines. My MIG has had countless 12# spools of wire ran though it and for almost 10 years now it has worked flawlessly. I posted the plasma because it also works like a million bucks, couldn't ask for more!

IdealArc TIG-300/300 with thumb amptrol and Bernard cooler

140T

Pro-Cut 25
post photo
post photo
post photo