Page 1 of 1
Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  98 Honda Accord Front Air Strut Trouble

98 Honda Accord Front Air Strut Trouble

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 1287
replies 4
following 4

2spic4u   +1y
Just bought Easy Street front air struts 75570 to replace the air cylinders and im having trouble figuring out what upper brackets to use.On page three of installing the upper mount bracket, IV. Installing the Upper Strut MountBracketIMPORTANT: The upper strut mount bracket will be taken fromthe rear of the vehicle if a rear kit (#75570) is being installed.If a rear kit is not being installed, an upper bracket (Part numberKYB SM 505-9) will need to be purchased from a Honda Accorddealer. The cost is approximately $20.00.<!-- m -->http://www.airliftcompany.com/manuals/ES_MN-534_75570.pdf<!-- m -->Im confused why I need a rear bracket if im installing a front kit??!?? If anyone that installed this before or knows about it, can help with this, that would be great.Thanks
tukn18saccord   +1y

does it have the threaded strut rod at the top?
tukn18saccord   +1y

ok I checked out the link you posted. i dont agree with drilling 2 more holes in the strut tower. hondas are weak enough with out adding more holes. plus if you noticed in figure one they plated the tower and made new holes. the last ones i installed were on a 02 cougar. i reused the upper bracket off the front and it worked fine. why they are saying use the rear puzzles me too. i do believe the info they provided is incorrect. try it with the front brackets and see how it fits. i really dont see a reason for it not to work. sounds better than using the rear.
k24 rd6   +1y

Those year accords front upper mounts are not extended. While you can probably use stock mounts, I doubt shock shaft will seal properly and you would lose stroke. The rear shock mounts are extended a bit but&nbsp;are usually larger in diameter where the bushings are. Which is why you would need to enlarge the shock tower&nbsp;hole.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would look into a front mount off of a 90-97 accord, it may just bolt up and has the proper extension. If that won't work, modify the stock 98 front one by removing what the shock shaft&nbsp;mounts to and welding the extension part of a 90-97 accord or&nbsp;88-00 civic to the 98 accord base.&nbsp;&nbsp;I really find Air lift instructions to be horrible. They leave out the vital pictures of how they want&nbsp;things assembled and regularly have low grade pictures of different vehicle than the insrtruction are for.&nbsp;I really don't&nbsp; know why they even bother to include any at all.
tukn18saccord   +1y

on my 2000 the rear mount is smaller, i would check with a local custom shop just to be safe.
Page 1 of 1