Wheel Questions \  I need help mounting some 255/30/22 tires

I need help mounting some 255/30/22 tires

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 2375
replies 12
following 11

datboychevy   +1y
Edited: 5/19/2010 10:46:02 PM by datboychevy

I recently bought some 22x8.5 wheels and 255/35/22 tires. I took them to a custom wheel shop and they could only get 2 of the tires mounted and the other 2 they couldn't get to air up enough to pop the sidewalls out. I then tried another shop and they couldn't either. I know my tires are small but I know that smaller tires have been mounted before. Is there some kind of lube I could use or some sort of method to mounting tires like these?

thanks,

here are some pics...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/capcomfan19/P1010328.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/capcomfan19/P1010327.jpg
warpedrenderings   +1y
Edited: 5/19/2010 10:49:48 PM by bamfben

a ratching trailer tie down strap might work if you put it around the tire and ratchet it down a little.
DCNDED   +1y

if no mounting lube was used or sealer applied to bead surface while installing then the best you can do is spray all around the bead with a soapy solution, spray lots., and then just pump air in until she pops the bead ...it may take upwards of 100psi , but she'll go ,it may just take awhile , and btw cover your ears , it will be loud when it pops!!!! this is assuming that the air isnt hissing out where it isnt popped , then do as above with the strap and while inflating sit on it , roll it around , bouce it , do what you must, to stop the air from escaping... ...then keep inflating ,
87mazda   +1y
Edited: 5/19/2010 11:30:12 PM by minitruckinmazda

i would definately try the ratchet strap, and lube the heck out of it.  i work at a tire shop and ive had to put the tires up to 90 psi just to seat the beads... by no means a smart idea but on a few it was the only way..  otherwise most shops have a tire repair unit where they can stretch the sidewall of the tire and it makes it a little easier.  also id be surprised if they didnt try but theres a cheetah machine that does a one shot of 120 psi into the tire and that helps alot when doing the ratchet strap idea.  and does the bead seat fully at all on any parts of the rim?
datboychevy   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by minitruckinmazda and does the bead seat fully at all on any parts of the rim?--------------------------------------------- Yes, about half of the wheels have a seated bead...
milenk0   +1y
try spraying ether (starting fluid) all around the inside of the tire and lighting it on fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPAoGdjrhQ
idrgbdy   +1y
i've got 22x9 with that same size tire. a buddy mounted/balanced them at a ford dealership. sounds like your's should be easier since the wheel isn't as wide. idk.
NCsteven   +1y

lube and lots of pressure it will go

Lockone   +1y
Most of the time it is the wheel that causes this problem not small tires. When we have this problem occur, I prefer to use a personal lubricant (kY, astroglide, whatever your favorite is).With air in the wheel everything is seated except 6-8" of the tire. Mark this spot on the wheel. Let the air out of the wheel. Take the shovel head of the demount tool and push the tire inwards to get access to the wheel bead seats. Lube the wheel with your lubricant of choice and dont be scared to use alot. Then shoot some more air to it. Works 9 out of 10 times for us.
Marcos_65   +1y
That is one of the easier tires to mount, sounds like the shop isn't so custom