Page 1 of 4
Photography \  In the market for a new camera

In the market for a new camera

Photography Q & A
views 3546
replies 33
following 18

OneBadRado   +1y
well during spring break my old camera took a shit, now im wanting an slr camera, what would you all suggest thats a good camera for a reasonable price. im looking at canon's and nikon's but not sure what the difference between the two is and the user friendlines, any help would be greatly appreciated.
idrgbdy   +1y
can't go wrong with a canon or nikon dslr. i have a canon rebel xt and love it. of course i'd like to upgrade eventually, but it was a great price a year or so ago and does everything i need it to do.
OneBadRado   +1y

where did you get yours from, if you dont mind me asking. and i had another question. whats the difference between the canon xs and the xt like youve got, i cant even find those all im finding is xs.
bigdaddypaco   +1y
I use Canon myself, Started out with a XTi, now I have a 20D and a 30D as well as an older D60 for a back up...Cano no longer makes the XT.. The XS is the entry level DSLR for Canon rebel series...the latest model rebel to be released is the T2i...  Check Adorama and B&H out they are the two best online shops to go to..also dont rule out buying used from either of those places..they come with a warranty and have excellent returns dept if you have any trouble...
bigdaddypaco   +1y
just so you know all 3 of my Camera came used from Adorama or B&H and I have had no trouble with any of them, and I shoot weddings with them as well as car shows...
OneBadRado   +1y
Edited: 3/18/2010 3:40:01 PM by OneBadRado

do they have a website, which one would you recommend, a canon and or a nikon thanks once again 
idrgbdy   +1y
got mine from ebay, basically new, but it was used. came with a couple lenses. but i bought a bunch of new and used gear from B&H. awesome place to work with. i was to do anything over again, i'd buy a lightly used body and a brand new badass lens. and make sure you get a tripod. i have a badass manfrotto but you don't have to start out with one so hard core.
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
Edited: 3/18/2010 3:48:13 PM by CLNSHVNnDRAGGN

Something that helped me make a decision when I got into photography. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm  Also, if there's a place near you that sells different brands go handle them, look through the menu's, and see what feels best in your hands.  BTW, I shoot a Nikon D80 right now but will probably be stepping up to a D700 or D3 soon.
OneBadRado   +1y
Edited: 3/18/2010 3:54:56 PM by OneBadRado

Edited: 3/18/2010 3:52:16 PM by OneBadRadoI  live in the middle of no where lol walmart the only place.. that b&h websiteis badass but i dont know what the difference is in all the cameras there what would you all recommend for a good starting out dslr camera for a good price i dont care if its nikon or canon, one user friendly and nice. and whats the number that come with the lenses mean, the higher the better? what you all think about thesehttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589104-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XS_a_k_a_.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615725-REG/Nikon_25454_D5000_Digital_SLR_Camera.html 
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
Edited: 3/18/2010 4:26:48 PM by CLNSHVNnDRAGGN

From my own experience after playing with both Nikon's and Canon's (which was what I was set on before playing with Nikon's) the Nikon's menu and settings are easier to navigate.  Also, with Nikon's you can use just about any Nikon lens made from 1959 to now on any of their bodies.  With Canon's, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, from what I've been told not all the lenses are compatible with all Canon cameras.  If you go with a cheaper Canon now and decide to upgrade to a better body later on chances are you'll be needing all new lenses.  One downfall with Nikon's is their lower end bodies, including the D5000 you asked about, won't auto-focus all lenses.  For the price of that D5000 I would recommend trying to find a used D80 with an 18-135 kit lens to get you started and spend the extra money you save on 50mm f/1.8 lens. ETA: Just looked at B&H and they have a 9 rated used D80 body, 9 rated 18-135mm used lens, and a new 50mm f/1.8 with shipping to the town you have listed for $762.80.