Page 1 of 2
Tools \  Millermatic 180 Powermig 180c Or hobart handler 187

Millermatic 180 Powermig 180c Or hobart handler 187

Tools Q & A
views 997
replies 13
following 10

1low225   +1y
i think ive narrowed it down to these three. i can get the miller for $779 the lincoln for $789 and the hobart for $669 w/a $50 gift card.... i looked at the miller and lincoln in person and the miller seems lower quality with the hf looking ground clamp and and the chincy looking internals. i like the auto set feature though. i liked the lincoln because it looked to be built better but it doesnt have all the features of the miller. i like the price of the hobart but i havent seen it in person and id imagine that its constructed simular to the miller..... im stuck i have about 900 to spend what would you do? anyone own or use any of these models? convince me!
trucks&stuff   +1y

i have a hobart and it kicks ass
theinternetkid   +1y
I run the hobart 187, it does a great job.
maz duh   +1y

I have run an older Hobart Handler 180 for the last 6 years and am very impressed with it. Sounds like it the best deal price wise too which makes it even more appealing to the budget minded mini trucker. I haven't used a machine with the auto set feature but it doesn't really seem necessary to me.  I like the manual crontrols for the simple reason that I'm forever playing with the heat and wire speed depending on what I'm welding or what position I'm welding in.  The Hobart gift card would be nice to put towards an auto darkening hood if you don't already have one. Good luck on the purchase man and happy welding.
slammedcivicsi   +1y
i have a miller 180 autoset, I really enjoy it, the autoset feature works well when your welding multiple pieces in differnt thicknesses. Its nice to be able to keep everything on 1 setting.
Paul_Buchner   +1y

Hobart is pretty much a Miller just Cheaper internals.  I have had my Hobart Handler since 2000, and really like it.  Miller vs. Lincoln, I prefer Miller to wire weld and Lincoln to TIG.  I am pretty sure Miller has cheaper consumables  Try checking with your local welding supplier for good deals on demo units.  Airgas resells welders from Vocational Schools, most times as reconditioned units with warranty.  Picked up a really nice Lincoln TIG with warranty 800 below MSRP.  Hope this helps.
AiredOut   +1y

I presonally have never liked any hobart welder i have ever used.  Everyone ive used seems to be very incosistent, sometimes weldiing great, other times welding like shit.  Ive been extremely pleased with anything miller or lincoln.  
a969c1   +1y
I have a Hobart Handler 175. never had any problems with mine and Tractor Supply carries them so you can get parts or consumables on the weekend
1low225   +1y

i went hobart.... i looked and couldnt find anything bad posted about it anywhere.... i figured it being the fucking internet some one would have something stupid to say... i found complaints about the miller (older models) and the lincolns having fucked up drives or being doa.... everyone loves their hobarts apparently so hopfully i will too. i picked up an 80 cf cylinder too woot.
Herecomestrouble   +1y
I know the specs say you can weld up to 3/16 with these welders but can they really do it?