Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  What would you use?

What would you use?

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 442
replies 4
following 4

stlowburban   +1y
If you were designing a IRS for a mini what would you use?  What center section and what knuckles?  Mine needs to hold up to the power of a mild LS and keep the track width pretty narrow.  Just for grins I like inboard brakes. 
foulmouth79   +1y
RX-7
TwistedMinis   +1y
Supra would probably be the easiest and mot affordable bet, and very readily available. You can find them with factory limited slip. If you rebuilt the clutches I think it would do well with some power. There is a guy out here I have talked to with a Supra that put over 450 HP at the wheels with the stock rear axle. Also Max has done the super narrow 9" center section a few times, so you could also do that or even an 8".  I didn't catch you where looking for knuckles too. But then I would say Supra again, because they ran a control arm design. The only factory set up I can think that is designed better than the Supra is probably the new C5 Corvettes, But supra parts would be much easier to acquire, and much cheaper.I recently made the same decision for a car I am working on, and went with Supra because of the price and availability. But I am building the knuckles and everything else, I just wanted the center section.
e10pvmt   +1y
you could also use a thunderbird or Mark VIII rear end...i was using that but opted for a supra for more floor space and keepin it all toyota......they also have a control arm desing.....and have an 8.8 in it...i have a mark viii for sale...its the same as a thunderbird but has an aluminum housing....i also have the knuckles as well and they have been redrilled 5x4.5 since they come stock 5x4.25
stlowburban   +1y
Edited: 1/23/2010 1:14:50 PM by STLowburban

Thanks for the idea's guys.  I would like to hear from Max since in one thread he alluded to what he would use.  I guess I should mention too that I would rather it not have a forward link.  I have seen some that used the 9" center which is somewhat appealing since I currently have a 9" in it and have not had axles narrowed yet so I could use some of what I have.  Here's what I have now but really want a IRS and plan on at least a 10"  wide wheel, 12" if I can make it work. Those are 20x8.      
post photo
Page 1 of 1