Page 1 of 1
Photography \  Question for the pro's- Photo Releases

Question for the pro's- Photo Releases

Photography Q & A
views 453
replies 2
following 3

scortboy   +1y
For all of you that shoot for magazines, websites, etc. Do you get releases on all your photoshoots or just from the models/people when they are involved? I am shooting alot of hot rod shows these days and might start setting up some feature shots but i want to know the legality basics before I do. I don't want to do a shoot them get slapped with a lawsuit because some guy doesn't like his feature and wants to sue me because I didn't have a release to submit pictures of his car to a magazine. And on a side note, if any of you (i.e. John Jackson) are ever in the DFW area doing a shoot and would mind having a rookie observer let me know. I'd love to see one of the pros at work in person.
Jance Customs   +1y

I'm not a pro but I've never had any issues with releasing my show coverage photos. If you are actually pulling someone aside to actually feature their vehicle, then I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with your pictures. Some photographers have people sign a release form if it is going to be used for advertising purposes, but not always. Most people these days will ask for you to shoot their vehicle instead of asking you to stop taking pictures of it    
BabyYouWish   +1y
Show coverage is different. If you are in a public place, you have no expectation of privacy and the shots can be posted/used however you want. The rights to the photos are the photographers, not the vehicle owners.   Whenever I did a photoshoot for Sport Truck, on the back of the tech-sheet was a release form. If its going to be printed in a magazine, you will want one signed. Contact the magazine that you plan to submit to and they should have tech sheets/release forms that they can send you for your submission.    If you shoot with a model you will also want a model release form.   I don't have many posts left this month, but if you have any questions shoot me an e-mail to downtimedesigns@gmail.com   - Matt 
Page 1 of 1