Page 1 of 2
Photography \  Portable lights

Portable lights

Photography Q & A
views 1327
replies 19
following 12

puddin06   +1y
What kind of lighting are you guys using for your night shots that you are taking? Strobes? Just curious whats a good durable light thats not $1000.
pugz   +1y

I JUST USE FLASHES AND WIRELESS TRANSMITTERS. JSUT IN MY 2 FLASHES AND TRANSMITTERS I HAVE $500+. AND I NEED ANOTHER FLASH TO MAKE ME HAPPY. LOL.
puddin06   +1y

what brand of flashes are you using??  care to send me a link? I knew if i started this then you would reply haha
pugz   +1y

I CURRENTLY HAVE 2 CANON 430EX FLASHES. I BOUHGT MY LAST ONE FROM WWW.BHPHOTOVIDEO.COM   MY WIRELESS SET UP CAME FROM EBAY. THEY ARE THE CHEAP CRT-301 WIRELESS TRANSMITTERS AND RECIEVERS. THEY TOOK ALMOST A MONTH TO GET HERE BUT THEY ARE ONLY 41.99 SHIPPED FOR 1 TRANS.... AND 2 RECIEVERS. I PLAN ON BUYING 1-2 MORE FLASHES SOON AND A NOTHER SET OF RECIEVERS, EMAIL ME IF U EVER HAVE ANY QUESTIONS..   PUGZLI036@GMAIL.COM
puddin06   +1y

then do you just mount those on tripods or what?
pugz   +1y

TRIPODS, OTHER PEOPLE, RANDOM PIECES OF GROUND, ECT ECT. LOL
puddin06   +1y

haha nice. well thanks i appreciate the help!
acrochicken   +1y

You can use the metz flashes they start around 137.00 dollars then go way up from there.  I use the pocket wizard setup with mine they are a little more expensive, but I use them for more than just casual photography so I wanted to buy something with a good warranty(3 years)   My advise is start with two get it to where you like the look of your pictures then start adding more. It takes alot of practice and working angles to get it right if you ry doing to much to fast you will wiond up hating it and giving up.   Also master your camera controls at low light and long exposure photography first then buy flashes it will make your life alot easier.   Money doesnt make you a better photographer practice does
idrgbdy   +1y
ya, i'm just rockin (1) canon 430ex. i got it used from bhphotovideo.com. i'll prob get a 580ex, another 430ex, the pocket wizard setup (read a lot of good stuff on them), and some stands/tripods. i love low light photography.
Burrellimages   +1y

I actually have a 3 light Alien Bee set up.  I got one 1600 and two 800's along with all wireless cybersync transmitter and receivers.  I also have thier Vagabond II which is there portable power box.  I've shot several shoots and still had power left on it.  Did a full three team youth league a couple days ago and used it for every shot and it was still fireing away.  Or course i have 3 large soft boxes i use for certain situations.  It wound up costing a little bit for all of it, but i started with one light and then upgraded to more, then wireless, etc.