Page 1 of 2
Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  cylinders vs. strut bags

cylinders vs. strut bags

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 1134
replies 14
following 10

2ToneSolara   +1y
I'm Starting to think pretty seriously about laying my car out a little. I'm not trying to go super low but as low as i can w/o major work. I'm trying to get some opinions on cylinders vs. struts.(ride quality, durability, adjustment...) It's also a daily driver.It's for a 2000 Toyota Solara. Thanks!

smctoy   +1y

If your not worried about being real low & want a good ride then Id go with strut bags!
jcjcsoccerkid   +1y

will those wheels be able to tuck? might be a problem. i dunno
inomrthenudo   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by 2ToneSolaraI'm Starting to think pretty seriously about laying my car out a little. I'm not trying to go super low but as low as i can w/o major work. I'm trying to get some opinions on cylinders vs. struts.(ride quality, durability, adjustment...) It's also a daily driver.It's for a 2000 Toyota Solara. Thanks!  I had cylinders for a very brief time and I switched to strut bags. I like them way better. I have a pic of my CRX on strut bags on my profile. The drop difference for me was the same because with both the a-arm hit the top. With a little cutting, I am sure it would go lower. The back tucks the same for me with both. It took a lot less pressure to get the bags to lift then the cylinders. I would never use cylinders again, but that is my preference. Others may like them. I didn't care for them much.
post photo
2ToneSolara   +1y

Jc the wheels will tuck fine, they're turned just a lil in that pic. I'm just stuck 50/50 on which ones cause I've got completely different opinions from a few people but only a few have really ever rode em everyday or somethin close.
AON-JAMES   +1y

Have you put some thought into hydraulics at all? Drop Derek an email, Info@hydroholics.net, He might just chime in. Kevin from Just Plain Trick juiced a Solara.  More pictures can be found @: http://www.justplaintrick.com/new/projects/99_toyota_solara but Hydroholics is the way to go.
2ToneSolara   +1y

Nah I haven't really given hydros any thought til looking on here. Nobody around here really does em or knows much on install that I know of. I'd think about em but I dunno if I got the space to do em and still keep my system.

2ToneSolara   +1y

Nevermind about the system ?. Doublepumped I just checked out your infiniti. Are you on a 20" and did you have to do much fab in the wheel wells to lay out like that. I'm lovin the way your sittin. I've got some people here that I'm really good friends with in RA// that know suspension but i'm not sure they've ever checked any hydro set ups out.
STATUSPITS   +1y
Edited: 6/5/2009 3:49:10 PM by STATUSPITS

Since your car has mcpherson struts all around your pretty much limited to strut bags or hydro'sthe strut bags are not going to get you very low tho  
AON-JAMES   +1y

My Infiniti had a ton of fab work in the trunk, as far as the wheel tubs, they were factory. Diffrent cars lay out diffrent, keep that in mind. If I was you, and space is limited (Do you have your spare tire well open?) Get with Derek about a:1PUMP/5DUMP Setup > http://hydroholics.net/1-5-kits.htmland run two Kinetik 1800 batteries > http://kinetikpower.com That right there would be the ideal setup for your toyota. It's simple, doesn't take much space It's not too fast and it is RELIABLE. I don't know where you are located, but I'm sure if you have questions one of the guys will chime in and help you. If your car is mcphearson, It's a little more fab work, but nothing too bad.  Hydraulics are making a come back, and strong. There were a few of us that never gave up on them, especially Hydroholics, and look what they managed to turn them into now. I HIGHLY reccommend Hydraulics over strut bags. I've had both, and I will never ever return to air ride again..  Check out a few of the build threads on here... Search "Hydroholics" You'll be amazed at what you see.