Page 1 of 1
Tools \  flux core wire

flux core wire

Tools Q & A
views 436
replies 8
following 8

nevrr2lo   +1y
i was wandering if it is ok to use flux core wire when welding frame parts gussets brackets etc.

waynehammer   +1y

yeah its fine as long as you do it right. i did my whole truck with flux core.
gimp5561   +1y

i hate that stuff myself  just my 2 cent
achievment_farmer   +1y

its stronger than regular short arc wire.  i'm a welder for a living and the company i work for uses it for all kinds of stuff.  we use co2 with it. 
nevrr2lo   +1y

i just got my welder and it came with a role it will also use mig wire but im straped and dont have the cash to buy the gas and wire just yet and im itching to get started
low mazda   +1y

Yes, if you take your time, it's actually better and gets hotter and penetrates better. Only downfall, is you have to brush off the area good if you stop the bead, cuz the flux slag will build up heavy. It leaves alot more splatter too.
achievment_farmer   +1y

i know how you feel.  my welder broke and i don't have one when i start on my project, but i will probably use the ones at my work place, we have tig, mig, arc, fluxcores, sub-arc, any kind of welder you can think of.  i work at a boilermaking company.
achievment_farmer   +1y

you can get some anti-splatter spray for the splatter, or you can mask off the areas you aren't going to be welding and paint it or put vasoline or some kind of heavy lube or grease and it will make them bounce off for the most part and the ones that done will just come off with a screwdriver or scraper.  but anti-splatter or paint works best, just make sure you're not painting your weld area lol

nigels_world   +1y
The actual flux core wire isn't the issue... The problem is that flux core welders are often low amperage and many of the hobbyists that own them don't understand any metallurgy or proper welding technique. If the machine is adequate and the operator is competent you shouldn't have issues.
Page 1 of 1