Page 1 of 1
Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  shortening spindles

shortening spindles

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 2408
replies 4
following 4

fourwheeldemon   +1y
hey i own a 2002 accord on cylinders, and i was looking at ways to get the fornt lower, the strut tower is notched for the upper control arm, i have made a set of drop forks, i want lower... will shortening my spindle lower my ride? i know this sounds dumb but i want to know. also will it do the same as just runnin the upper control arm below the top of the spindle rather than being on top?
thankyou, pat (australia)
AON-OFFDAHOOK   +1y
Don't forget your cylinder still has to compress....if it has room to still collapse some more you can shorten the spindle - yes, although it's tricky to do since its cast.  When you're looking to get serious about going lower check out www.hydroholics.net and we'll steer you in the right direction. 
k24 rd6   +1y

Shortening the spindle at the top will lower the a arm and allow you to have more travel. It will not lower the car. If you lenghten the bottom of the spindle, raising the hub, then you will be lower. The top has to shortened also otherwise you still have a arm clearance issues. If you do lengthen and shorten the spindle you will lose camber making it difficult to fit wider tires and turn. The best way to me is to make a new a arm and cut the spindle. This will let you go lower without cutting out the whole tower.
k24 rd6   +1y

Also,  if you made shorter forks, I doubt you have enough axle clearance to lenghen the spindle without the axle hittng.
fourwheeldemon   +1y

thanks guys, i never thought of lengthening the lower piece, also if i shorten them it means i will have to ditch my 20s and run 18s wont it? and when you say make new a-arm... why? sorry for dumb questions still trying to learn

cheers, pat

Page 1 of 1