threads
Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Century Welder problem... suggestions?

Century Welder problem... suggestions?

Tools Q & A
views 565
replies 9
following 8

modemagic1   +1y
I have a Century welder that I've had for quite some time now and I have a problem with it that I wonder if anyone has a solution for.  I was having problems with it stuttering while welding, (wire would seem to not feed fluantly, consistantly)  After having a guy I work with set me up with a kickass spraymaster gun, tip, etc. essentially a new whip it seems to do a lot better.  We found a kink in the liner part way through the old whip.  Now when I weld it still does it, but now it seems that the wire roll is too tight.  If I loosen the wing nut, it just begins to unravel in a big mess.  Essentially there is a threaded rod that comes up and the wire roll slides onto it.  On the rod, there is a washer with a spring on it, and a wingnut which holds it and keeps tension on it to keep it from unraveling.  Anyone have any ideas how to keep it loose enough for the rollers to push it through the whip to the gun, but not turn into a wire mess?
eyepoppin customs   +1y

check the tension on your drive rollers you might have to turn up the tension. i have the same type of welder for sheet metal and if you dont keep the drive rollers tight it will stutter like that. hope that helps if not call me my # is on my website. l8r
modemagic1   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by eyepoppincheck the tension on your drive rollers you might have to turn up the tension. i have the same type of welder for sheet metal and if you dont keep the drive rollers tight it will stutter like that. hope that helps if not call me my # is on my website. l8r---------------------------------------------Do those rollers wear out ever?  Seems like mine is about as tight as can be.  I've never replaced the roller though, maybe that's it.
framedranger   +1y

In most cases if your roller wheels are tight and the wire is still no flowing out at a steady rate its your liner or there is some burn back slag in your tip

framedranger   +1y

our if when your welding your liner is all raveled up on the floor it can mess with the wire flow...Try to keep it straight as possible
Wicked Fantacies   +1y

I know u said u found a kink in the liner have you used the right size liner for the wire your using?  Just another suggestion if the roller tension isn't it.
eyepoppin customs   +1y

i know on mine my rollers are almost as tight as i can get them. and if  i dont keep my wip straight it tends to slow down the wire speed. yes the rollers can and do wear out. pull off the rollers and look at the grooves and make sure they are not to warn out and that when you put them back on that the right size groove is the one you are useing.( ie. .035 with .035 wire and .030 with .030.)
waynehammer   +1y

if you tighten the rollers too tight it can split the little wheel that feeds the wire to the handle. i did that on mine and it was doing that, and also i ran into that problem another time because my wire speed was too high
Numbskull   +1y
remove the entire gun from the welder and remove the tip,  try to hand feed wire through the liner, if there is resistance you have a kink or its jammed with dirt. thoroughly clean the liner out by blowing air through it. check your drive rolls and guide tube. make sure the guide tube is not jammed with dirt and the drive rolls are on the correct grove. if your welder was setup for .035 flux core and was converted to gas the drive rolls may not be grabbing the wire effectively if the drive roll was never flipped. most welders have 2 grooves on the drive rolls, the groove with teeth is for flux core and the smooth grove is for solid wire. make sure you are using the correct size wire. do everything with the gun as straight as possible, if the liner is bent when welding it acts like a brake and slows the wire down. make sure the wire is coming of of the bottom of the roll, if its comming off of the top the roll is on backwards. im willing to bet its just dirt clogged somewhere.
eyepoppin customs   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by Numbskullremove the entire gun from the welder and remove the tip,  try to hand feed wire through the liner, if there is resistance you have a kink or its jammed with dirt. thoroughly clean the liner out by blowing air through it. check your drive rolls and guide tube. make sure the guide tube is not jammed with dirt and the drive rolls are on the correct grove. if your welder was setup for .035 flux core and was converted to gas the drive rolls may not be grabbing the wire effectively if the drive roll was never flipped. most welders have 2 grooves on the drive rolls, the groove with teeth is for flux core and the smooth grove is for solid wire. make sure you are using the correct size wire. do everything with the gun as straight as possible, if the liner is bent when welding it acts like a brake and slows the wire down. make sure the wire is coming of of the bottom of the roll, if its comming off of the top the roll is on backwards. im willing to bet its just dirt clogged somewhere.---------------------------------------------or ive seen solid wire have a coteing that tends to gum up the guide tube thats why ive got in the habit of feeding my wire through about 3 layers of a red scotch bright to clean it befor it gets to the drive rolls
Page 1 of 1