Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Lots of smoke after welding???

Lots of smoke after welding???

Tools Q & A
views 452
replies 8
following 8

kaoss   +1y
I have a Miller 175. I have only burnt a few good welds with so far, but the air is very smokey after I lay a bead down. I don't recall this happening with my 110 welder. The smoke is coming from the weld, not the welder. I'm worried that something is wrong with my welder, and my warranty is going to up here soon. The welds look like good welds, I'll post a pic of them later. Any one have any ideas or suggestions?
jdauer02   +1y

cant say that I have had smoke come from the weld itself on the 220's thats I have used and one is a hobart and one a miller so the same as yours.   what are you welding is it a frame or is it fresh clean steel?  I have had smoke come from the area I was welding when it was a frame or had some seam sealer or something where it got hot.

Ih8bmps   +1y

Well I would like to say more voltage, more heat, and your just burning off debris.

kaoss   +1y

It is steel stock. I am building a welding cart. The only thing that I am doing different than what I used to is I am using a steel wheel on my grinder to clean the metal. I'll try cleaning it with a stone instead.

drupru22   +1y
Maybe you has some kind of liquid that was on the frame or steel wheel and maybe the heat from the weld make it smoke some??
framedranger   +1y

more voltage = hotter welds and more smoke.When I use the 110 welder at work there is little smoke after welding but when I use the 220 or the 440 volt it gets smokey especially with the 440 that baby can burn hotter than hell......hot enough that you have to have shields on your gloves so you dont burn you hands

maz duh   +1y

Wipe the oil off of the tubing with wax and grease remover before you hit it with the grinder to prep it. If you don't clean it first you will be grinding the contaminents deeper into the metal with the grinder. Depending on what the steel has on it for a coating it can lead to weld contamination/porosity down the road.

tuckinlugs06   +1y

coreflux smokes

layin98   +1y

Page 1 of 1