Page 1 of 1
Truck Performance \  Turbo on a 22R?

Turbo on a 22R?

Truck Performance General Discussions
views 1133
replies 1
following 2

switchhappy   +1y
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question before or not but I was wondering if any knows what needs to be upgraded on a 22R to be able to handle a Turbo? I've got an 88' toyota truck(daily driver) that I would like to put a turbo on but don't know exactly what needs to be upgraded or changed out. any help is appreciated. thanks
standardbyker88   +1y
is it efi or is it carbed? your compression ratio is going to need to be changed to accomodate the boost in pressure. also, i would run a forged piston since you are replacing them anyways. you would need a turbo manifold on the exhaust side and a way to dump it into the intake side. carb could be okay if you used a carb that can be blown through, or have it feed under if not. check out the lc engineering kits and see what types of things they say need to be done. do you have an expected power you want to acheive? how much boost do you want to run? do you really love the truck or done alot to it, because that bodystyle came as a turbo in 85-87 in trucks and 4runners. very low power numbers on those though since its a stock setup. you can get close to 200 hp from these motors without a turbo. but thats about it. after that i say turbo it or do a 7m motor swap from a supra/cressida.
Page 1 of 1