Grinder or Sawzall

Tools Q & A
views 1968
replies 11
following 12

Spin_155   +1y
What's your wepon of choice and why

kaoss   +1y
Two tools for different jobs. If I had to choose, I would go with a grinder. In fact I have:   2 110v Makita grinders 1 straight air powered die grinder 1 90 degree air powered die grinder 1 bench grinder   And then I have a cheep harbor freight reciprocating saw. My buddy has a nice DeWalt, and I like it a lot more than mine.   You also can't weld without a grinder.

homebuilt   +1y

grinder. 

locaddy   +1y

Gotta have both. I use grinders 100x more than I do sawzall though. I  really only use my sawzall (cordless dewalt) when I gotta cut somethin outside or at the junk yard. Sometimes in the shop to make a rough cut if I dont feel like listening to the air hammer. Sawzall is low on my list of cutting tools. I do use a little reciprocating saw (body saw) alot though.

Texmextukin   +1y

I have and use both, but i use the grinder far more than anything. In fact i have 3(1 for cut-off,1 for flap disc, 1 for stone disc). But i pretty much backhalfed my truck with my Welder and 3 grinders

milkshake   +1y
both are a must have a grinder has more uses than just cutting so thats a plus that way
framedranger   +1y
my grinders is used 20 times for every one time the sawzall is used , But definetly both are needed

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
I use a 5" 3/64 Zipcut before any other cutting tool. I can't think of the last time i've used a sawzall for automotive work.
unusualfabrication   +1y

I have a couple of 4.5" grinders and a sawzall.  I have several other air tools that I use for cutting different things like a bodysaw, cutoff wheel, and a 90 degree grinder with a cut off wheel in it.  To say one is better to have than the other, well they all have there uses.

eatinpavement   +1y
Edited: 1/21/2009 10:45:04 PM by eatinpavement

i think my personal favorites are my ingersoll rand air recip saw for tedious stuff, my dewalt 14"chopsaw, my metabo 6" cutting grinder, and my dewalt cordless sawzall, followed by the rest of my dewalt electric tools and IR air tools. they are all equally useful like the others say, it all depends on the task.