Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Chop Saw or Band Saw?

Chop Saw or Band Saw?

Tools Q & A
views 497
replies 8
following 9

LowBlazin   +1y
So after using the chop saw in class, its pretty inaccurate with its cuts. It may just be a shitty saw or disc on though. Whats everyone using to cut metal for their frames. Chop or band?
whttrsh   +1y
chop on frames...band saw for gussets/ brackets.
unusualfabrication   +1y
I find the bandsaw more effective on cutting solid stock. Chop saws are good for quick cuts. Both have there place and I have used each one to cut things that I normally wouldn't cut in them in a pinch. Saws typically aren't for precision cuts, they are just for cutting to lenght and then go to a mill, knee grinder, or the lathe to get brought to size.
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Edited: 5/1/2008 10:32:29 PM by iLLblazer

Originally posted by whttrsh

chop on frames...band saw for gussets/ brackets.

I think you might be thinking of a vertical band saw which really isnt comparable to a chop saw at all.

We just got a $35000 CNC band saw at work. Can't wait to try that thing out soon. haha.

We just have a chop saw at the shop though. But as soon as I have space for a small band saw I'll get one because chop saws are a bitch when you need to mitre cut 2x4 etc.
TwistedMinis   +1y
I have both, and I use them both for different things. If I need a fast cut I use the chop saw. If I am making a lot of mitre cuts I generally use the band saw because I can just walk away and set the next one up when it drops off. I use a carbide tipped metal blade on my chop saw, and it doesn't walk as much as a consumable blade. It just needs sharpening every couple of months with heavy use. But it makes really accurate cuts. It throws heavier chips, but doesn't get nearly as hot.
granth   +1y
seth, whats the blade called that you get, and is it generic as for which saws it fits? i believe i have the same quick change milwaukee as you do.
xinsertnamex   +1y
cold saw if you can find one cheap
91toylexus   +1y
i have one of the milwaukee chjop saws with the cartbide tipped blades.it cuts quick doesnt throw many sparks and not very much of a mess.i love it.
djdcb3man2001   +1y
After i bought my band saw I all but retired my chop saw it makes really accurate cuts and with the lennox blade i bought it cuts very fast and never gets cold. I had the harbor frieght band saw but i ended up returning it and buying a delta which although they look identical the delta is superoir
Page 1 of 1