Page 1 of 1
Tools \  good welder for beginner

good welder for beginner

Tools Q & A
views 979
replies 8
following 6

bundston   +1y
whats a good welder for someone that hasnt done much more then tac in some door handle fillers?
standardbyker88   +1y
i would say a miller or lincoln 110 welder. wirefeed style, with the option of using sheilding gas. one with adjustable wire speed and different voltage settings...either a rotary switch or a knob.

also, having the option of different wire size is good. .20 - .35 is about the range youd need depending on the application. also, get a good welding mask. not the hand held kind, the style that you put on your noggin.
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
I would say go with a 220 right off the bat. I tried learning with a 110 and it had me hating welding. When I got my 220 I picked it up and started laying beads like I had been welding for years and it wasn't even a high end welder (Lincoln 175 w/gas).
crewcabondubs   +1y
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180_autoset/
this is a nice machine. its good for beginners cause you dont have to worry about if your setting the wire speed and voltage at the wrong level.
bundston   +1y
thanks for the info
minitrucker04   +1y
i got a lincoln 140, and it works bard ass it a 110 unit
Severed701   +1y
Originally posted by CLNSHVNnDRAGGN

I would say go with a 220 right off the bat. I tried learning with a 110 and it had me hating welding. When I got my 220 I picked it up and started laying beads like I had been welding for years and it wasn't even a high end welder (Lincoln 175 w/gas).then i would say you were not using the right machine for the right job..it really depends on what your doing with it. i LOVE my 110 lincoln for doing sheetmetal and light stuff..but when i need to burn the fuck outta some metal i use my 220...but i wouldnt use either of them for everything..they both have there uses respectively
standardbyker88   +1y
exactly. and for a beginner, i would suggest warping some sheetmetal before you chicken poo a frame notch.
bundston   +1y
Originally posted by standardbyker88

exactly. and for a beginner, i would suggest warping some sheetmetal before you chicken poo a frame notch.

wow its like you read my mind
Page 1 of 1