Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Step bits

Step bits

Tools Q & A
views 459
replies 8
following 8

CUZIKEN   +1y
I bought a Lenox vari-bit set and one of the bits (the one i use most) wont let me drill past one of the steps. So i was wondering is there any way to sharpen these bits? I was going to use a file on the flat edge and see if that helps but didn't want to destroy a $40+ bit.

Ken
disfiguredS10   +1y
Not sure man, I never had that happen w/mine. Maybe you could exchange it for a good one. By the way I got some step bits from HF a few weeks ago and so far I like them as well as my lenox ones & they're hella cheap.
CUZIKEN   +1y
The $9.99 ones, I got some too and used them more then the Lenox one and haven't had a problem either.
disfiguredS10   +1y
^^ Yup that's them
TwistedMinis   +1y
I don't know any way to sharpen those. I picked up some of the HF ones, and I had one do the same thing to me. It glazed itself over. You could possibly sharpen it with a fine file.

Anyways, I broke all 3 of the HF ones. One went dull on the first cut, and other two sheared off at the shank.

So, I ended up getting a Uni-Bit brand bit, with a 3/8" shank (compared to HF 1/4"), and I have abused the hell out of it without any issues. It goes 1/4" through 7/8" and I have done everything from 1/8" plate to 1/2" without any issues.
maz duh   +1y
The UNI brand ones work great! I've had mine for several years and no problems yet(aside from not being able to find it when I need it)
Afro   +1y
^^^ UNIBITS are awesome!
unusualfabrication   +1y
I'll third unibits! I have to go get a new one because the tip finally wore off my current one.
twistofcain   +1y
i take mine to the local saw shop they sharpen them just like countersinks
Page 1 of 1