Page 1 of 1
Tools \  converting to 220v

converting to 220v

Tools Q & A
views 225
replies 4
following 5

HockeyGod37   +1y
how hard is it to convert my garage to 220v so i cen run a welder?
200bodydroppedrangr   +1y
I would love to know also. i dont think you can just change an outlet in to 220. Dont you have to run a new fuse/wire from the box?
domepiece   +1y
You cannot just change an outlet. And you will have to run new wire. the rest just depends. If you have a breaker box in your garage it's pretty easy. You also have to have two open spots in your box. Buy the appropriate breaker and pop it in and wire it up. Little hint. Shut all the power off to the garage or at least shut the main power off at the box. It'll light your ass up if you hit the power bar in the back with the power on.

If you don't have a box in your garage you'll have to add a breaker to your main box and run a lot of wire.

You also need to check your main service amperage. If it's not high enough and you add additional service you may pop the main breaker constantly.

It's hard to tell you exactly what you need with no info. What is your service amperage? It's the double pull main breaker for your house. Is there a breaker box in the garage? Is the garage attached or detached?

dan48p   +1y
don't forget to look around for empty junction boxes too... my shop had some 10/3 running through conduit from the breaker in the bathroom out the the workspace. i just installed a plug and a breaker. still had to run a new circuit for my compressor though.
dan48p   +1y
also, depending on how old the house is and how previous owners or tennants have wired things up you may have something that will work already there. chances are you will loose a bunch of outlets or lights in order to reuse the wire for a 220 circuit but its something to look for.

dunno if your renting or own the place. but i've run an "extension cord" from the dryer outlet to a plug i mounted to a stud in the wall in some of my previous rental houses only time i ever blew the breaker was when my compressor tried to turn on when the oil was frozen last feb.
Page 1 of 1