Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Body work Tools

Body work Tools

Tools Q & A
views 386
replies 9
following 10

twistedsdime   +1y
What are some must haves for doing body work? I know I need to get some hammers and blocks but what else is a must have. I was looking at some of the electric orbital sanders but some people have told me they are bad? for body work. Is this even true? Also is an air tool sander a good tool? I know some people like to just do it by hand but I was wondering what else I could get to help me out. Any help would be apreciated.
waynehammer   +1y
small orbital sanders leave hi and low spots if you arent carefull. just get a nice block set. i got a durablock set and they are great. they are pretty fast if u use the right paper
Idragit   +1y
definately a spot welder...and for your compressor..your gonna need at least a 40 gallon tank to do any real work..if not your gonna be waiting on air most of the time..
bagged92   +1y
a DA sander, some good hammers and blocks, if you have some big dents, a stud welder is awesome, i got one from harbor freight for $100 bucks, i just started using it, and it is ok for the money. And the best thing is a big compressor, i have a 60 gallon and i like it, but i wish i had gone with an 80 gallon
danc   +1y
A good pneumatic DA, air or electric grinder, blocks, filler (bondo) spreaders, particle masks, gloves, die grinder. Depends on your budget and extent of the work you'll be doing.
AiredOut   +1y
I prefer all air tools for doing body work. A good DA is a must. You will also want an air file (i like my hutchins). Some nice hand blocks (long, short, flexible). A 3 inch angle grinder is nice. Cut off wheel. And your gonna need a nice compressor.

unusualfabrication   +1y
I honestly think a quality air compressor is number one. I have a 60 gal but would love to step up to the 80 gal. I have a DA, air board or air file, and a palm sander. I have atleast a dozen different hammers and a few different dollys as well as picks for those hard to reach places. I even have a full set of lead paddles.
thebagged1   +1y
agree,, compressor is key!! but i loveee hutchins stuff... but theres alot of stuff that you should have, dura blocks, hammers, dollies, stud gun, slide hammer list goes on and on but those are the biggies...
lowlowpowerranger   +1y
i would get a good set of hammers and dollies like everone said i work with them alot and some cheaper ones will start to hurt your hands. also are you doing custom, repair or both? i would stay away from air sanders for filler work it just as fast if you block 40, 80 then 180. DA's are got to feather edge paint but othere then that youll get high and low spots in you filler. hope it helped you out
domepiece   +1y
Go to harbor freight and get you a hammer and dolly set. I have a stud welder from there and it comes with some studs and a slide hammer. The slide hammer sucks and i had to do some work on the inside of the stud welder but still a lot cheaper then a unispotter. Don't buy any aire tools from there as the suck. I use all ingersoll rand tools. Get an air file, 6 inch DA, angle grinder with a 3" Roloc pad attachment, and a set of blocks. The set of blocks should include a long file board, a 8" block, and a short hard block as well as a short flexible block. Also a good 60 or 80 gallon 2-stage compressor.

Honestly if you've never done body work it's going to suck. And it would probably be cheaper to pay a good friend to do it then to buy the tools and screw around doing it your self. Because after all that crap you'll still need a decent gun for primer.
Page 1 of 1