Page 1 of 4
Tools \  tubing benders

tubing benders

Tools Q & A
views 1298
replies 30
following 13

granth   +1y
i know seth posted his build a little bit ago and looking through some articles and all I see some people tend to use air/hydro, and some people tend to use just a normal mechanical setup.

whats the difference other than you physically having to pull the bar around, is it a better bend with air/hydro? reason i ask is i found a plan on ebay (link below) and i was thinking of possibly building it. i don't want to build it though if it's going to be some shitty design that ends up loose as far as exact bends and duplicating them are concerned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rorty-No-3-Tube-Bender-Construction-Plans-Manual_W0QQitemZ330186003346QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42147QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
creative concepts   +1y
its easier with hydro/air.. but if you get say a jd2 and get their handle extension.. bending 1.25 .250 wall isnt bad at all.. plus its a ratcheting setup. just keep on cranking!
granth   +1y
thats what i was thinking....you could put a breaker bar on it..

the one i posted looks like the JD2 sort of. it's ratcheting or whatever like you mentioned. just not sure if it has a lot of play in it or not.
suckafree   +1y
I just got a JD2 model 3....still have to put a top on my stand before I can use it, but the quality is amazing...only info I can give.

On this topic...does anyone use bending lube? brands?
slammedxonair   +1y
i have the jd2 with the electric hydro unit and i love it
maz duh   +1y
A dab of grease is all I use on the wiper die on my bender Chad, its esentually a clone of your JD2. The ratcheting manual style bender makes nice consistent bends Grant and works well with a cheater handle on it. The air over hydraulic conversion works well too but is really only necessary if you're using the bender on a fairly regular basis and want to save some effort. Thats my 2 cents anyways...
unusualfabrication   +1y
If I need it I just shoot a little WD-40 on the tubing before the follower die.
suckafree   +1y
I'll just use some KY
TwistedMinis   +1y
Then it will bend too fast! Lol.

Yeah all I use is WD-40. I bought some of the "tube lube" that Trick-Tools has, and it didn't really seem to make any difference. And it didn't last all that long.
suckafree   +1y
kinda what I was thinking...could get a gallon of wd-40 for around same price of tube lube. thanks for the info