Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  rear end problem...

rear end problem...

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1787
replies 4
following 4

SoDakminis   +1y
ok.. i have an 81 chevy luv 327 gunna run some were from 300-400 hp and front is six lug and have already had expensive custom control arms made so no turnin back on the lug pattern ( i know shoulda swaped to yota) and im sure the stock rear end will not stand up to any more then prlly 7 maybe 8 hp im a family man and like everyone on a budget, so a shortend 9" is prlly outa the question... i have heard an 4.3 s-10 rear end will hold over 300 hp..Is this true?? and also how possible is it to swap from 5-6 lug??? or could i shorten a full size chevy rear end (dime a dozen around here)and be able to find,shorten,spline what have you..to them.... thanks for anything..i got to many people givin me to many ideas....heads spinnin....thanks again.. sodak
BioMax   +1y
I would probably chase the full-size rearend. There are many places out there that can narrow and build new axles for a fair price. I would guess that you should be able to have all of the work done for about $500. I don't think that you are going to be able to find a narrow rearend that is going to stand up to the power and 6 lug. You aren't going to need anything that is too crazy, I'm sure that you are not going to be able to put all of the power to the ground.
maz duh   +1y
The really strong S10 rearend is found in the Sonoma ST trucks. They were a 4.3/ std trans trucks and had an extra stout rear end assembly in them for some reason. Its the rear end that all the S10 v8 guys covet. Have you considered a Nissan Hardbody V6 rear end? Its a 6 lug and has a ring gear that is larger than a 9inch Ford and 31 or 32 spline axles. They turn up at the wreckers periodicly, just might take a bit of shopping to find one. I can't say for certain if the width will be enough for your truck but I will measure my Nissan and post the width for you to compare to your factory LUV rear end.
granth   +1y
i bet a 9 inch could be found in a junkyard for the same price as an s10 rear. specially if you play dumb about what it is. just tell em the rear out of that truck. don't know what it is, just matches what you need. more times than not they have a set price for things, and they wouldnt have a clue what it was if you told them.
SoDakminis   +1y
the chevy rear end is prlly a good way to go then, but i live in south dakota and as far as i know there isnt anything near me for shorting it..so i might run into problems.. yeah i really doubt it will hook up so im not to worried i just dont want it to break and screw my box, im making my long bed to a short bcuz i cant find any decent shorts and its gunna take a lot of work and i dont want an axle to come spilling out and smash up my box (only worry) but i will strongly look into the full size rear end... i guess i will make some phone calls and c who could do this... road trip!!!.. thanks guys..
Page 1 of 1