Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  4 link tube mounts

4 link tube mounts

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 645
replies 12
following 9

i cut it   +1y

instead of using regular 4link tabs i like how clean those mounts are in the picture. my question is, do u weld a washer inside a piece of tube and the nut in the other side, or do u cut a piece of metal with a hole drilled in it and weld it flush inside the tube. kinda unsure how everyone does it. thax 4 the help
i cut it   +1y

post photo
i cut it   +1y
poo i was trying to make the pic bigger sorry. cant figure it out
TwistedMinis   +1y
What I do for those, is cut the piece of tube the size of your choice, 1 3/4" 3/16" wall is a decent size that I like. And rather than using a washer, I use 3/16" plate, and a holesaw to make a washer, so to speak, that can be welded onto the end. Then I run a bolt through it, with a nut and lock washer on the other end. Using the right size tube will allow you to get a socket in each end. I've used 1.5" 3/6" wall DOM before too, and my socket just fits inside it for using a 9/16" bolt.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Edited: 9/6/2007 7:29:21 PM by Chopped Mazda

Edited: 9/6/2007 7:27:55 PM by Chopped Mazda

Another really easy way to do it is:

Get some 2"Diamiater, .25" wall DOM tube, and cut it into chunks that you will use for the "Tube" part of the bracket.

Then get some 1.5" DOM with a .5" wall thickness, cut that into .5" thick washers.

Those thick washers will slide directly into the "TUBE" pieces you cut earlier, they can slide inside the tube, giving you a very flat and nice surface to weld to, and it will make a niec finished look. and then just bevel the edges and weld it all in place, then grind it smooth.

Then, drill the .5" hole you now have, drill that into 9/16" and your good to go!

I just used the 2" DOM because that is what the ends of my 4-links are, that way it matched up really well, and blended in good.

Whatever you do, dont use just standard washers you get from a store or anything, those arent a good idea.

sorry for whoring the forum, but i used that method for all my tube style brackets, and it worked really easliy for me, just using a band saw and a welder and grinder.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Originally posted by Chopped Mazda

Get some 2"Diamiater, .25" wall DOM tube, and cut it into chunks that you will use for the "Tube" part of the bracket.

Then get some 1.5" DOM with a .5" wall thickness, cut that into .5" thick washers.

Those thick washers will slide directly into the "TUBE" pieces you cut earlier, they can slide inside the tube, giving you a very flat and nice surface to weld to, and it will make a niec finished look. and then just bevel the edges and weld it all in place, then grind it smooth.

Then, drill the .5" hole you now have, drill that into 9/16" and your good to go!

I just used the 2" DOM because that is what the ends of my 4-links are, that way it matched up really well, and blended in good.

Whatever you do, dont use just standard washers you get from a store or anything, those arent a good idea.

sorry for whoring the forum, but i used that method for all my tube style brackets, and it worked really easliy for me, just using a band saw and a welder and grinder.

That sounds like less work. I wonder if I can get 1/2" wall tube locally. Lol. I bet that stuff is $$$?
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Originally posted by TwistedMinis

Originally posted by Chopped Mazda

That sounds like less work. I wonder if I can get 1/2" wall tube locally. Lol. I bet that stuff is $$$?

ive never had a problem getting ahold of the 1.5"-.5" wall DOM, my local place is allways willing to sell me drop cuts of the stuff. But with how you use it, a few feet will go very long way, but i do believe its something like 18-25$ a foot.

but like i said, a foot can make almost 20 "washers" if you need it to

Taylor
bdroppeddak   +1y
another sweet idea ive done is use 3/8 or 1/2 plate and make caps, bevel the sides and weld them in the tubing, then i face them in the lathe to make sure they are flat, then drill and tap one side so i dont need a nut...
i cut it   +1y
seth i was thinking the same thing u did, taylor that seems like a great idea and well cris sounds great but i lack a lathe. thax for all ur help
BioMax   +1y
I guess I'm on the wrong forum, I didn't realize that you guys were building panzer tanks. The material that you are using is HUGE!

How about this... Figure out what size bushings that you are using (I don't use anything bigger than 1 3/4" od) Then call up aircraft spruce (www.aircraftspruce.com) and order the material that you need to accomodate your od needs. If you use .120 wall 4130 (the only steel that aircraft spruce caries) it will be PLENTY strong enough and you can use a hole saw the size of your chosen od and the resulting piece should fit nicely inside of the tube. Make sure to use 3/16" (1/4" is easier to work with though) minimum thickness for the "washer" and depending on whether you want a nut built into the part or not you can weld it in now. Use a grade 8 nut and dip it in muriatic acid (pool acid, like 3$ a gallon at the hardware store) to remove the zinc plating before welding. When you weld the nut to the washer, use a bolt with a shoulder to align the washer to the nut. Then slip the washer into the tube halfway and weld it up. The washer being halfway into the tube will help keep it from shearing off the end of the tube. If you have a lathe, this can be done with some decent precision and have a REALLY nice engineered part when done.