Page 1 of 2
Tools \  220 volt extension cord?

220 volt extension cord?

Tools Q & A
views 939
replies 10
following 7

granth   +1y
I guess I can make my own if it comes down to it, but what is needed exactly? I was told I have the biggest amperage hook up residential can have....50 maybe? I can look. Anyways, it's just going to run my welder, thats it. What all is needed to do this, as far as what wires and crap?
h2omelon(nick)   +1y
I used 8/3 for mine.
granth   +1y
is there aanywhere that shows how to wire it up and crap? I've never done anything like this before really...
greenranger 23   +1y
how many amps does your welder draw. and where is your panel located in your house. or do you already have a plug and just want to extend it. you need at least a 1900 box an industrial cover with a 220v plug hole a large romex connecter and a male 220v cord cap your going to want S.O. cord not romex the romex is to flimsy. you should probably use 8/3 .
greenranger 23   +1y
i can give my number if you have any other questions. i am a commercial electrician by trade.
BankruptRam   +1y
I got everything from home depot to make mine. I dont remember what size but the electrical people helped me. I spent about $100 to make a 50ft extension cord.

greenranger 23   +1y
yeah the stuff is not cheap your wire is going cost the most
granth   +1y
I am already wired up and only need probably 20 feet of wire. The box is in my garage coming out of the wall, wired for my welder, when we got the house built. It's strong enough for the welder, just need to make an extension!
framescr8pintoy   +1y
100 for 50 ft. damn luckkkkyyy, i paid about 65 total(breaker parts wire) and i only got a 10ft extension.
granth   +1y
you also live in vegas im sure that plays a large part in price.