Page 1 of 1
Tools \  good drill bits

good drill bits

Tools Q & A
views 330
replies 8
following 5

granth   +1y
whats a good set to pick up? im trying to drill a bolt out of my exhaust manifold, and I guess it's "work hardened" from the heating/cooling of the motor. Nothing I have will even try to touch it really. I may have to take it to the machine shop, but wanted to try myself first.
Dupa102933   +1y
a trick to getting the bolts out of exhaust manifolds b/c they are cast and the bolt is steel weld a washer to the broken bold then weld a bolt to the washer heat up the manifold and on out she goes at least most of the time sometimes takes a couple tries but worked well when i work in an exhaust shop hope that helps bud
STUD1Y   +1y
i would just use some good oil on that shit and plug along.

or an easy out.
granth   +1y
I can weld anything to the bolt, its cut off and ground smooth to the manifold. What I TRIED to do was oil it up with pb blaster for quite a bit, then vice grip the bolt, and do it like that....no luck. So i cut it off, ground it smooth, and tried welding a bolt to the manifold..............forgetting it was cast. Obviously it broke, and I learned why you don't weld tabs to cast center sections.

So i'm stuck with drilling it out, or a machine shop drilling it out.
PleasuresBurban   +1y
Hell it might be worth your time and money to just take it to somebody. Drill bits are big money these days for the good ones..Maybe you can find some guy that knows just the right trick and turn your big problem into a small one in just a few minutes.
granth   +1y
well i fully understand why people throw shit away now. NOONE in this town will do this for me. I have called every auto shop, machine shop, and muffler shop with NO luck. Everyone says they either just don't do it, or they can't drill it out on the press because theres no sure way to keep it square.
granth   +1y
Originally posted by STUD1Y

i would just use some good oil on that shit and plug along.

or an easy out.

i have the easy outs, but you have to drill a hole for them to go down into...

PleasuresBurban   +1y
What kind of truck is it on?
granth   +1y
72 f100, 302 3 speed. thing is, im taking it to them, off the motor. all they need is a level, power drill, and a good drill bit. i just dont want to spend a fortune on 1 drill bit.
Page 1 of 1