Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Welder Opinions

Welder Opinions

Tools Q & A
views 618
replies 7
following 7

crazygenius13   +1y
I can't remember if that one can convert to mig, if so, it's not bad. I used to use one like it when I lived with my dad, you have to flux core any thicker metals, but it's OK, I personally would spend a couple hundred more and get one that can handle thicker metals in MIG
bigjon   +1y
spend the extra $100 and get the 175 from lowes or home depot
atomants95   +1y
yes that is a good welder. i have the same one and it can convert to mig. i didn't even convert mine, but if you can afford it i would go with the 135. but as for the 100, it can get the job done too.
daburban   +1y
Can someone explain the difference between mig and flux core. I am only going to use it my my vehicles, So I am guessing the thickest I will be welding is 1/4"
atomants95   +1y
mig u have to hook a gas up to it, argon or co2, with the flux core the gas is in the wire. i prefer flux core because it is a hassle to change bottles then wire when i can just worry about wire. with flux core you will have to knock off the slag to see your bead.
crazygenius13   +1y
Mig isn't quite as hot as flux core, so you would want to weld sheetmetal (shaving stuff) with MIG and it also makes a niceer lookin bead, and IMO is easier to use.

Flux core actually can penetrate better than MIG, with the same amperage running to it, if you open up really any welder that has a recommended settings label, it will not recommend you to MIG as thick of metal as you can with Flux.

You can also weld in windy conditions better with Flux. If you want to do 1/4" steel, I would at least step up to the 135, 175 would be better, but I think you need a 220 outlet.

Check out the Miller 175 or 135, better welder IMO.
scotto79   +1y
Miller 175 was discontinued and re-released as the Miller 180 for this year. I just picked one up a few weeks ago, and its awesome so far. The gun is a little cheap so I'm getting a Tough Gun for it.
Page 1 of 1